kaotik
Check for updated modules
  • 2007/10/26 10:47

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Since I created my module and theme uploader, I've been analyzing another common problem to most CMS (and even other open source projects). How does a webmaster check if his modules are up to date? The current method is to go to each developers site and check his version against the ones he has installed.
Here's my ideia, Create a distributed method using php:
There will be an xml file holding various pieces of information related to each module.
1- xoops.org creates a master list of support sites.
2- These support sites can change and update the master xml file. The changes made by each support site gets propagated to the other support sites master xml file. This update process can be made through a manual update (for ex. pressing a button) or through a cron job.
3- A user opens his "module checker" this automatically checks his local language and gets the master xml file from his support site. It then checks the current version in the xml file versus the one he has installed.

So there will be 2 specific modules in this process.
-xoops.org creates a simple xml file contaning the support sites
- each support site gets a "support site module" that allows them to update and propagate their changes.
- Users can install a "module checker".

Advantages of this system:
-All support sites participate in the process of mainting an up to date module list.
-Even if a support site goes down, users will still be able to check their modules and the system keeps going on.
- Since users are connecting to their support site, server loads will be balanced out between them.

Disadvantages:
-Added layers of complexity to build and implement this system.

If this is something of interest to the community I would be happy to start blueprinting this and building some alpha modules for testing.
www.kaotik.biz

wizanda
Re: Check for updated modules
  • 2007/10/26 11:01

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Was think the same my self yesterday, yet a different style….lately I keep using my SVN for the latest fixes in one clear place, as all files I stick on there, are what you see on my site and tested working….
So if we as a XOOPS community had a clear system like my own SVN copy, where it isn’t about continuous sub-projects, yet repairs as they happen in real time…that would also mean any new fixes we become aware of as a community can be instantly downloaded by the community…..
The next thing to look at, is linking that and haven’t got around to checking if it is possible yet with SVN…..yet an automated XOOPS system updater, so as any repairs get add to our SVN….Our XOOPS sites regularly check if any repairs are needed and update those automatically…..
This would mean once you installed a XOOPS site you could leave it and it would update and fix its self…..

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits