BigJim
Xpress & Xlangauge conflict
  • 2007/8/9 7:31

• BigJim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/16

I've found a problem with Xpress when using Xlangauge. Its similar to the already known problem of xlanguage not coping with very long articles but this one is slightly different.

It concerns only the Recents Comment Block in Xpress

My site is bilingual. I translate all comments in to my site's other language.

But this causes a big problem for the comment excerpts displayed in the Recent Comments Block.

In the blocks administration you must define how many characters the excerpt will be but if the comment is added in 2 languages it almost always exceeds this number. The results is that the language tags can't be read properly because only part of the comment (the excerpt)is being read.

The result on screen is that the page-display goes crazy and langauge tags are shown.

If I turn the Recent Commments Block off everyting is ok but I really need this feature.

I figured partial solution is to split the language tags up in to 2 sets with the first tag exactly matching the number of characters defined for the excerpt.

Like this:

[en]comment in english starts here[/en][zh]the same thing translated[/zh][en]and is finished here[/en][zh]and the translation is fininished here[/zh]

In this case the permitted value for the excerpt must be 73 characters (ie the 1st language tag set). If it is even one character more or less the page will not display properly because the set of language tags have not been read properly.

I've tried entering all my comments like this but it takes too much time and I often have mistakes (when I miscounted).

Can anybody tell me how to better deal with this problem?

If not can someone tell me how to change the wp_comments.php file in wordpress/blocks so that instead of displaying the comment excerpt the Post Title is displayed each time a new comments is added. This would solve the problem also I think.

Thanks if you've got any ideas!!!

BigJim
Re: Xpress & Xlangauge conflict
  • 2007/8/11 16:08

• BigJim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/16

Wordpress has a block for showing most recent comments. It also has 2 blocks for showing most recent posts.

I really need to change the most recent comments block (for the reason mentioned above) so that instead of showing the first part of each comment it shows the title of the post

Can anybody tell me how to do this wordpress/blocks/wp_comments.php.

Thanks for any help, I've tried and tried but at my php level I'm just guessing and how to change it and I really need this feature

Login

Who's Online

358 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 357

alain01,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!