No posting allowed.

???

jfmoore
Re: Why is this topic locked: "Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update?"
  • 2007/5/19 2:08

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

Topic re XOOPS development update locked.

I ask why.

Eighty three views.

No answers.

Curious.

jfmoore
  • 2007/5/19 3:31

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

Thanks. Might be interesting, though, to know who locked it. Might be interesting, also, to hear from that person as to why.

I'm going to read it through again, but I don't recall thinking that any comments were out of line--at least not to the extent that the conversation should be terminated.

I hope that this is not a symptom of a larger problem. Like others, I am counting on XOOPS to be in there for the long haul. I have to say, though, that I no longer have that warm and fuzzy feeling. Warm maybe, but not fuzzy, and slowly cooling.

Jere

JMorris
  • 2007/5/19 3:54

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Core development discussions are now held at the SF.net Core Development forums, not here.

I don't know who closed the aforementioned forum, or why, but I do know that the Core Developers wish to use SF.net for Core Development discussion.

HTH.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

jfmoore
  • 2007/5/19 4:19

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
Core development discussions are now held at the SF.net Core Development forums, not here.

I don't know who closed the aforementioned forum, or why, but I do know that the Core Developers wish to use SF.net for Core Development discussion.

HTH.

I guess I'm confused, then. What, exactly, is this forum for?

Jere

tom
  • 2007/5/19 9:08

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:

Jere

Perhaps this forum as in XOOPS is for user support, module announcements, theme announcements, hack announcements.

SF - core dev
dev.x.org - Mod Dev
X.org - User support and announcements.

Seems logical to me.

Now the aforementioned topic, could be locked but still there as an archive, a reference to past discussions.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

jfmoore
  • 2007/5/19 18:25

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

Quote:

tom wrote:
Quote:

Jere

Perhaps this forum as in XOOPS is for user support, module announcements, theme announcements, hack announcements.

SF - core dev
dev.x.org - Mod Dev
X.org - User support and announcements.

Seems logical to me.

Now the aforementioned topic, could be locked but still there as an archive, a reference to past discussions.

Thanks, but why wouldn't module, theme, and hack announcements be made in the respective module, theme, and hack forums? To have module, theme, and hack info posted in the core dev forum doesn't seem to make sense. That's not where I would look for this info.

On second thought, nevermind. That's not why I started this thread. I would still like to hear from who locked the before mentioned thread as to why. It's curious that the thread was locked right after a post by Marco, a well-respected XOOPS member and heavy contributor.

So, what about it? Who locked it and why?

Jere

Marco
  • 2007/5/19 19:14

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

locked?
well, this is another event that show we are not adult/honest enough to have an due behavior on xoops.org

as stated by Dave_L

Quote:

It would be helpful if the core devs could make some posts detailing how they're going about this.

Working on code is not an excuse for lack of communication.

Is it too hard to explain with few lines what's going on, and this officialy?

Seems xoops's project desease is procrastination without any sense of teamspirit, open attitude and honesty.

marco
Do synergy or die.

jfmoore
  • 2007/5/20 2:14

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

Okay, I did as I said I would and re-read the entire conversation to see why it was locked, and I have to say that I am at a loss to understand why.

The conversation began on March 7th with a question by toddherrold asking, quite reasonably, for the information which we all crave: an update.

There was, certainly, some contentious dialog along the way, but nothing, IMHO, which deserved locking. In any event, davidl2 posted the following on March 26th:

Quote:

I think we'd better draw a line with the personal comments there everyone."

and there was no further input until Marco's first post on April 22nd, asking very politely:

Quote:

2 weeks later, is there any news? before doing anything else, perhaps would be nice to have some news from the single man at the head of the dev.
if some can speak with skalpa on msn perhaps could he post what's going on, no?

There ensued a 1 1/4 hour polite conversation between Marco and vaughan, a forum moderator, after which the topic was abruptly locked.

The last post was by Marco as follows:
Quote:

ok, thanks for the info.

Could someone ask the XOOPS head to explain here what's going on, so it will prevent questions like ours and help us in our projects ?

the community is asking this. Everything is blocked,
because there is no clear vision about the next few weeks/month.

Which version should we report bug on ?
Seems the 2.3 branch is dead. Moreover, there is no install instructions within the 2.3 svn version. How to test it? Is it worth to test it? when devs will be back so we will be able to help with debug?

marco (simply asking for a clear direction)

Then the topic was locked. Now, here's what I think -

* It takes a forum moderator to lock a forum.

* Forum moderators, by definition, read all posts in a timely manner.

* Therefore, the forum moderator who locked the topic has read this dialog.

So I respectfully request again that the moderator who locked the topic please explain why. I understand, however, that you have no obligation to do anything I ask, and it won't hurt my feelings any if you don't, but I would suggest that should you choose, as is your prerogative, to ignore this request, then it is only human nature for any who would like to know the answer to assume the worst. And that is, in my modest way of thinking, one of the main problems--in the absence of good information, many people have assumed the worst about a lot of things.

So, do what you think is right. I won't ask again. I will have more to say on the issue of information, but I won't ask this question again. In any event, thanks for your dedication and your time. I may think that you acted a bit hastily in this instance, and thereby exacerbated the problem, but please be assured that your efforts, as well as those of all moderators, devs, and other contributors are very much appreciated by the great majority, including me.

That doesn't mean, though, that we won't be expecting, and asking for, updates, so please try not to get all bent out of shape and wig out when we do.

Jere

JMorris
  • 2007/5/20 2:49

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I did not lock the thread, but I can bring some clarification...

Skalpa specifically said that he will not be posting on this site. He said that all his activity will be done publicly and on SourceForge.net. That was the last information I got from him regarding updates.

BTW... I'm not being his "puppet". I too wish he would post here, but he will not. He has made it clear that all conversation regarding Core Development and Core Dev discussion will be on SF.net.

That is all I've been able to get out of him regarding this issue. Take it for what it is worth.

So, regarding someone contacting Skalpa by MSN and asking him to post. That has been done and the answer was "No". Skalpa said, "watch SF.net". He said, in summary, that it would be better for him to work on code than to waste time adding fuel to the fire.

Well, I don't agree with this 100%, but I do understand his position.

The basic gist... Be patient.

That's my interpretation of things, for what it is worth.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits