SciFi
Some help with my first site.
  • 2007/5/15 22:03

• SciFi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/15

Greetings one and all!

I have setup my first XOOPS site and am getting along fine with it, having come from using PHPNuke in the past I have to say that I like this better.

Anyway

The two questions I have, and I will understand if this gets moved out of the noob area, are as follows.

1. Mail Setup

I am using a hosted Linux server so I have no idea how, if at all, the send mail is configured. Does XOOPS always use send mail to send mails out and if not and the phpmail() is ment to work what is my best way of testing it. My issue will not be an issue with mail relay as I own the relay server and have access to it and it's logs.

2. Custom Block using PHP

I want to add a very simple bit of content to a block on the home page. This content is generated by a bit of PHP ~250 lines long. I know that this code works in a stand alone php page.
The code uses MySQL lookups and some other things.
The question is given that the code works out of XOOPS why does it not when I put it in a custom block? Is there a limit on the length / functions of that block?

Many, Many thanks to all

-SciFi

skenow
Re: Some help with my first site.
  • 2007/5/15 22:11

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Quote:

SciFi wrote:
Greetings one and all!

I have setup my first XOOPS site and am getting along fine with it, having come from using PHPNuke in the past I have to say that I like this better.

Anyway

The two questions I have, and I will understand if this gets moved out of the noob area, are as follows.

1. Mail Setup

I am using a hosted Linux server so I have no idea how, if at all, the send mail is configured. Does XOOPS always use send mail to send mails out and if not and the phpmail() is ment to work what is my best way of testing it. My issue will not be an issue with mail relay as I own the relay server and have access to it and it's logs.

You have have sendmail, php mail(), SMTP and SMTPAuth options for mail. The way I test my configurations is to start with the default (mail()). Using System Admin -> Find Users, find your user id, check you name, then select Mail from the dropdown. Send yourself a brief message and make sure email is checked. If you get the email, it works. If not, try another option in the mail setup

Quote:

2. Custom Block using PHP

I want to add a very simple bit of content to a block on the home page. This content is generated by a bit of PHP ~250 lines long. I know that this code works in a stand alone php page.
The code uses MySQL lookups and some other things.
The question is given that the code works out of XOOPS why does it not when I put it in a custom block? Is there a limit on the length / functions of that block?

For custom php blocks, do not use tags at the start and end of your code, they are placed automatically. Be sure you have a simple php block working before you dump your larger file in. If you can save the block, edit it again and all the code is there - you should be good.

Quote:

Many, Many thanks to all

-SciFi

SciFi
Re: Some help with my first site.
  • 2007/5/16 18:23

• SciFi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/15

Thanks for the advice. I did have the in there which did not help and also there was some HTML in my code also which would seem to be a big no!

Is there a guide on making simple blocks / modules? I have tryed to reverse engineer one but it did not work.

I have my site on debug but all I get is a 404 page not found and I then have to hit back...stop to view the actual error.

Thanks again

-SciFi

Login

Who's Online

358 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 358

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits