carpeweb
Install Disaster / Cannot Uninstall / Module File for Not Found
  • 2007/5/10 15:16

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/12

I tried installing XOOPS Gallery and had a disaster. The messages on the install page seemed to indicate that it installed successfully -- except that it processed only 3-4 actions before saying "installed successfully" and showing the "Back to Module Administration" link.

On the Module Administration page, there is now a row for the module. However, it has no icon and no title, and just shows the label "Module File for Not Found!"

The XOOPX Gallery folder is under the /modules folder. Otherwise, it would not have shown up in the list of modules available to install. So, I have no idea what's causing this message. But that's not the real problem.

I want to uninstall it, of course. So I deactivated the module. But clicking on the uninstall icon is useless. Obviously, this is related to the "Module File for Not Found!" problem. The uninstall link is

admin.php?fct=modulesadmin&op=uninstall&module=

... in other words, no module to pass to the admin.php script!

Somehow, by trying to uninstall or maybe some other action, I managed to get **two** rows in my Modules Administration page to show the no icon/no title/"Module File for Not Found!" phantom.

I really just want to clean this up and try a different gallery module. However, I don't know what to do to get rid of these rows, and I'm worried that trying anything else will just give me another phantom row in the Modules Administration page.

Heeeeeeeeelp!

Thanks,

Jim

BlueStocking
Re: Install Disaster / Cannot Uninstall / Module File for Not Found

Jim,
first, I am no expert so watch what I say carefully and make your own determitation and if there is any doubt check it out with someone else.

next, after trying to install it from the admin panel with no good results I would simply delete the /modules/gallery folder and all of its contents (by whatever means I uploaded it to my module directory.)

That should remove it from the modules selections.

Then if you still have problems come back here and let us know.

BlueStocking
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

skenow
  • 2007/5/10 17:18

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Deleting the folder before completing the uninstall process will not remove the module from the installed list - that list comes from a table in the database. You will also be leaving any database tables and entries that were created during the install process.

I recommend a fresh start -
1. Rename/delete the existing xoopsgallery folder
2. Upload a fresh xoopsgallery/ folder to the modules folder
3. You should now be able to uninstall the module

carpeweb
  • 2007/5/10 17:54

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

Quote:

skenow wrote:
Deleting the folder before completing the uninstall process will not remove the module from the installed list - that list comes from a table in the database.

I didn't delete the folder; sorry if I was unclear.

The problem is that somehow Modules Administration just isn't seeing the folder for the installed "phantoms". It's there. In fact, just to make sure, I deleted it and copied in a fresh one.

Since the folder is in /modules, it's available to install. Unfortunately, "it" (some module, anyway), in phantom form, is already listed twice in the list of installed modules, with no icon and no title and "Module File for Not Found!". It's the phantom modules (which don't really exist but obviously have some table entries somewhere) that I want to "uninstall".

I even tried completing the URL for the uninstall (admin.php) "manually" by typing in the modulename (xoopsgallery), which I can see by hovering over the install icon for it.

One additional note: the name of the folder is not "xoopsgallery". Is that the problem? I didn't change it. It comes from the zip file as xoopsgallery 1.3.3.x, and I'm thinking maybe the folder name is the problem? I also tried manually typing various folder names for the admin.php script to uninstall, but there's also a space in it, which I wasn't quite sure how to handle; %20 didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

skenow
  • 2007/5/10 18:11

• skenow

• Home away from home

What is the folder structure for your gallery?

I have XOOPS_ROOT/modules/xoopsgallery/

In that directory should be a file xoops_version.php - that is what XOOPS expects to find in a module directory

Quote:

carpeweb wrote:

I didn't delete the folder; sorry if I was unclear.

I didn't think you had, but you might have been tempted to.

Anonymous
  • 2007/5/10 18:31

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
carpeweb wrote:

One additional note: the name of the folder is not "xoopsgallery". Is that the problem? I didn't change it. It comes from the zip file as xoopsgallery 1.3.3.x, and I'm thinking maybe the folder name is the problem?

I can't help but think that this, together with Skenow's hint is the answer.

I think you have uploaded the correct module directory nested inside one called "xoopsgallery 1.3.3.x".

Take a look at the .zip file and see if this is the case; the directory that you need to upload will have lots of subdirectories in it (e.g. "admin", etc) and, as Skenopw says it will have a lot of .php files including xoops_version.php

Good luck - please keep us informed as to progress.

carpeweb
  • 2007/5/10 21:59

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:
I can't help but think that this, together with Skenow's hint is the answer.

I think you have uploaded the correct module directory nested inside one called "xoopsgallery 1.3.3.x".

Well, the zip file unzipped as xoopsgallery 1.3.3.x, and there is/was no xoopsgallery folder inside it. (Yes, I should have listened to that voice in my head that warned me at the time how odd that seemed!) Other than the goofy name, it seems to be the right directory structure. That is, it has the xoops_version.php in it.

Having said that, there's no way for me to remember exactly what the directory structure was when I first had the install problem. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a "nested" issue. Whatever else happened, I managed to screw it up twice, so that's the level of competency we're talking about here ...

As I mentioned earlier, I tried renaming it to xoopsgallery, but that doesn't help for the two "phantom" modules that are already showing as installed. I'm sure it would help for a new install, but that's not the problem I need to solve.

I appreciate all the help, especially so quickly. As it turns out, I installed an alternative gallery that seems to be working fine, so I really just need to clean up the xoopsgallery stuff. I can easily delete the xoopsgallery folder, but I just have no idea how to uninstall something that clearly wasn't installed properly (twice!).

Based on my newbie intuition, it looks like /modules/system/admin.php must look for the installed and "ready to install" modules in a table somewhere. It's finding two entries that it displays as "installed", but it's obviously not finding the link to the module icon. I think that's why it displays "Module File for Not Found!". And it's not finding the text for the title of the module. For some reason, it seems to be satisfied with what it found, enough to display a row (twice).

In order to get my Modules Administration page to stop displaying the two "phantom" modules, I need some way of changing the information in the tables that is driving the page to display the two bogus rows. I guess I'm not too concerned with the fact that there are two rows: if I knew how to get rid of one, I'd know how to get rid of the other.

Next steps?

Thanks for your continued help,

Jim

xtremepr
  • 2007/5/26 20:36

• xtremepr

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/3 0

Quote:

skenow wrote:
Deleting the folder before completing the uninstall process will not remove the module from the installed list - that list comes from a table in the database. You will also be leaving any database tables and entries that were created during the install process.

I recommend a fresh start -
1. Rename/delete the existing xoopsgallery folder
2. Upload a fresh xoopsgallery/ folder to the modules folder
3. You should now be able to uninstall the module

I did deleted the folder without properly uninstalling it first. Can I remove manually the table entry of my database so this will not show up again?

If so whats the table name / entry I should look for?

skenow
  • 2007/5/26 21:12

• skenow

• Home away from home

The easiest thing to do would be to upload the folder again and uninstall the module. A module will add tables to the database for its own purposes, but it will also add entries to several XOOPS tables that will be difficult to identify.

kerkyra
  • 2007/5/27 9:56

• kerkyra

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/14

Hallo there,

1. erase the folder from the modules directory.

2. rename the 'phantom' installed modules to something that you will identify later (rename them to "erase this" "erase that" or something)

3. go to phpmyadmin and look for the table xoops_modules. In there you should find the renamed 'phantoms'. Erase them and you are done.

4. Start a fresh module upload and installation.

5. Good luck :)
www.guidemap.gr - Beta is out...

Login

Who's Online

91 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 91

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits