Semazen
Paid members with multiple content subscriptions?
  • 2007/4/20 5:25

• Semazen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/20

Hello,

We are building one site, that sells annual paid subscriptions (memberships) to online content (example: newsletters). Each person can buy access to one or more newsletters, and view all the content they paid for in their members area - using one login.

Ideally, subscribers will access each content area via a menu link. So when a user buys (say) 3 subscriptions, they see a menu link for each of the 3 content areas. Someone with 2 subscriptions, sees 2 menu links.

I am wondering if this can be achieved with XOOPS.

Thanks

tmreg
Re: Paid members with multiple content subscriptions?
  • 2007/4/20 6:16

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

There is a subscriptions module in the modules repository. My thought would be multiple clones of that module? I have never tried this. Anyone with any thoughts?

It is my understanding that the subscription paid for grants access to a user group. this would mean multiple user groups and a multimenu menu with each link's permissions set for the corresponding user group.
-Matt

Semazen
  • 2007/4/20 10:31

• Semazen

• Just popping in

Thanks tmreg. That sounds hopeful.

But cloning may be a problem, not least of all because there are a hundred or so things to subscribe to. Perhaps a mod to add tickbox selections of subscription items may be an idea.

I'm trying to contact the developer and will have a squizz at the code.

Thanks

Semazen
  • 2007/4/22 21:36

• Semazen

• Just popping in

Apparently there is a solution to the problem, but it's not so much a plug in to Xoops. Rather it's plugging XOOPS into aMember Pro membership script.

I do like it when various scripts work together in peaceful harmony

tmreg
  • 2007/4/22 21:48

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

Please let me know how it works and what you did when you are finished. I am always interested in new ways of adding functionality.
-Matt

mboyden
  • 2007/4/22 23:02

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

You're on the right track. You should be able to take a content module that works like a news/articles function.You need one that allows setting permissions on each category by group. Set-up XOOPS user groups for each subscription you want to sell (doesn't matter how long). Articles and SmartSection both come to mind, but there may be others.

Then install and configure the subscriptions module.

Your users may purchase subscriptions using the Subscriptions module. When they purchase the subscription, they are added to the group associated with the permission, and only for the time allowed by the time-length they purchased.

The menu for the content module you used above should only show those categories (aka each newsletter) that they have access to based on the group permissions and you can make module access overall (and thus the menu shown) based upon the group permissions.

The subscriptions module gateways (like connecting to PayPal IPN) does cost you a little money, but it was VERY cheap and well worth it (No, I don't know the developer).

Good luck; should be easy enough.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Login

Who's Online

242 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 242

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits