growe
News Module Layout Customization
  • 2007/2/15 20:13

• growe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/19

I would like to make a change to the way the Recent News block looks but as a newbie am not qualified to do it. Any help is appreciated.

By design, the entire article is not displayed in the block but the article title is a link to the full article. In some cases that is ok; however, sometimes it is not evident that the acticle is not complete and it is not evident to some users that the title is a link. (I guess that is theme dependant).

In any case, after the portion of each article that is displayed in the Recent News Block I would like to have a link called something like "Click for full article" or "Click for remainder of article". I don't think coding the link will be hard, I'm just have'n trouble locating where to put the code.

As a newbie, I will appreciate any help I get. Thanks in advance.

growe
Re: News Module Layout Customization
  • 2007/2/15 20:32

• growe

• Just popping in

To clarify what I'm talking about...
In the Recent News block settings, I have set a teaser length. The new link I'm talking about should go immediately after the teaser content.

The spotlight feature has a similiar link but the additional articles don't. Not sure why.

tmreg
  • 2007/2/15 21:02

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

First thing I would try is to open the block template in your html editor. I would try to figure out where the teaser is displayed and add the shorcut (click to read the whole article) immediately after. You are looking to have that link go to the same place as clicking the headline so you can copy the shortcut code from there.

Just a thought.
-Matt

growe
  • 2007/2/16 18:23

• growe

• Just popping in

Hmmm - I figured it would be as simple as what you just said but I must have been having a brain fart because I couldn't locate the template I needed to use.

There is a template for Big Story, Moderate, Random News, etc. but not one for Recent News.

I just figured out that I needed to edit news_top.php

I changed
$news['teaser'] = xoops_substr(strip_tags($story->hometext()), 0$options[3]+3)

to

$news['teaser'] = xoops_substr(strip_tags($story->hometext()), 0$options[3]+3)." <nobr><a href=".XOOPS_URL."/modules/news/article.php?storyid=".$news['id'].">"._MB_READMORE."</a></nobr><br /><br />";

and it worked ok

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits