arie1985
Registration problem
  • 2006/7/1 21:22

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/30

Hello people
I have a problem

When someone is registering himself to my website he suppose to get an activation email, but this system doesn't work :(

He doesn't get this email

I checked this issue with Yahoo mail, Gmail mail and more - and none of them work! :(

Do you know what is the problem?!

I didn't touch or did any change on file register.php, just to let you know

Bender
Re: Registration problem
  • 2006/7/1 21:55

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

1. Did it work in the past? i assume yes.

2. What kind of mail sending did you setup in preferences? phpmail?

If so here is a small php script that creates a form you can use to send a mail via phpmail. You can upload this to your webspace and send yourself a testmail with it to see if it only doesn´t work in XOOPS or in general

3. You could ask your hoster if they changed something.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

arie1985
  • 2006/7/1 22:18

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Bender wrote:
1. Did it work in the past? i assume yes.

If so here is a small php script that creates a form you can use to send a mail via phpmail. You can upload this to your webspace and send yourself a testmail with it to see if it only doesn´t work in XOOPS or in general

3. You could ask your hoster if they changed something.

1) No, it hadn't

2) It's Phpmail, and I don't understand much in this subject, I don't know what to do with the link you gave me, can you give more details please?

3) I can, but

-They don't support free accounts so they can't help me
-Even if they could, they can only answer me on Monday (their hours of operations are monday thru friday) and I don't wanna wait until then :)

Hope you could help me some more..

arie1985
  • 2006/7/1 22:23

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

One more thing, I didn't setup the Mail Settings in my website, perhaps that's the problem?

I don't know how to setup the mail, can you or someone else explain me (or refer me to a link) how to do it?

arie1985
  • 2006/7/1 22:52

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Bender wrote:

Please, I don't know what to do with this file you gave me the link to

How should I work with it? can you please explain?

Bender
  • 2006/7/1 23:12

• Bender

• Home away from home

You can setup your mail in system admin --> Preferences --> Mail setup

Usually you would use the selection phpmail for it and not smtp but that would depend on your hosting.

The file i pointed you to is just for testing if the phpmail function does work on your server.

So you just upload it to your main XOOPS directory and then call it withhttp://www.yoursite.xxx/phpmail.php.
The rest should be selfexplanatory. Its just for testing if the phpmail function is working.

[size=x-small]Remember to remove the file after testing since otherwise anyone could send mails from your server if he finds that file[/size]
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

arie1985
  • 2006/7/1 23:22

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Bender wrote:
You can setup your mail in system admin --> Preferences --> Mail setup

Usually you would use the selection phpmail for it and not smtp but that would depend on your hosting.

The file i pointed you to is just for testing if the phpmail function does work on your server.

So you just upload it to your main XOOPS directory and then call it withhttp://www.yoursite.xxx/phpmail.php.
The rest should be selfexplanatory. Its just for testing if the phpmail function is working.

[size=x-small]Remember to remove the file after testing since otherwise anyone could send mails from your server if he finds that file[/size]

Well,
It doesn't work with or without the file

I don't understand how exacly this file operates for testing, if I just put in on the ROOT directory of my website it should work? well it doesn't anyway :/

My webhosting supports only PHP-Mail, not SMTP, it says clearly it DOES NOT support SMTP, not that I know what is that, but I know it doesn't support it

-------------------------------------

Can you please explain me how to setup my mail? Because I don't know how to do it And I didn't see any guide or explanation in the FAQ for this :(

Okay here goes, please help me with that

System Admin --> Preferences --> Mail Setup

Then:

First line - FROM address - Can I put in my Gmail mail?

2nd line - FROM name - Can I put in it whatever I want?

3rd line - FROM user - I'm picking my user

4th line - Mail delivery method - phpmail()

But what is "sendmail"???

It appears too as an option, what is it?!

5th line - Path to sendmail - /usr/sbin/sendmail - should I change it?! What is that thing exacly?!

If you could answer me in the meatine for the 5 lines in the Mail Setup window - it would be great, I just need help with this window and then I believe it would be easy to setup the mail

Please help me if you can!!
Thank you

arie1985
  • 2006/7/1 23:58

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Please close this topic

I'll open a new one, as I know what I need at last :)

Bender
  • 2006/7/2 0:23

• Bender

• Home away from home

Please get back to the file i pointed you to for a moment.

1. Upload it to your website
2. call it in your browser as (http://www.yoursite.com/phpmail.php )
3. Put your own mail address into the to: field and try to send yourself a mail that way.
4. Wait a little and see if you receive that mail

Check with your host whether they suggest phpmail or sendmail (if the latter then which path does it have on their servers)

Bender
  • 2006/7/2 0:26

• Bender

• Home away from home

Ahhh just checked the forums on awardspace and found this:

Quote:
sendmail/phpmail is disabled on free accounts to stop spamming

So ... is yours a free or paid account? If free than it shows that nothing really comes for free and you just lost.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits