Chappy
LDAP: What's the use?
  • 2006/6/10 22:03

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

So, I'm clearly not a guru. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the benefit of ldap as part of xoops? I have searched here and on the net in general to better understand ldap, but it isn't really sinking in. The most I think I understand about it as relates to XOOPS is that if someone is using XOOPS on an intranet that it might do, uhh, something to make authentication easier.

Thanks for any insight that anyone can give.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Bender
Re: LDAP: Whats the use?
  • 2006/6/10 22:19

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Yes you got that right. Many companies these days use ldap for account management for different systems. So this way they can easily get their users access to XOOPS without creating another seperate login for everyone.

So for the normal webmaster it might not be that killer feature but its an important step to get a foot into the door at bigger companies.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Chappy
Re: LDAP: Whats the use?
  • 2006/6/11 1:39

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Thanks, Bender. Makes sense... at least the reasoning. As I looked at the title for the post a few minutes ago, I thought that it looked like I was being critical, in retrospect. I wasn't trying to be. Only trying to learn more about what LDAP was and what purpose it served for xoops. Now, at least, I understand that part.

Thanks,

Mike D
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits