Peekay
Root control of VPS?
  • 2006/2/3 11:27

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I started to shop around to supplement my existing reseller hosting account with something more flexible. Problem is, I need a spec that my current shared server plan cannot meet. As a minimum I need:

IonCube run time loader
Smarty (for Xoops)
PHP GetText support
MySQL InnoDB support
Safe mode OFF
SSH
GD2
ImageMagik (not essential)
PHPMyAdmin

I've given up with the idea that a shared hosting plan can provide this, so I'm looking at VPS. Up to now, none of the Plesk controlled VPS solutions I've enquired about can meet the above spec, however, I have found a host that offers something called 'root' control. This appears to offer more freedom over the server spec, but there are some restrictions:

Quote:
Root VPS customers are however advised that there are certain exceptions to the types of applications that can run on the VPS Root architecture. These include but are not limited to the following:-

1. Applications that require the loading of a kernel module.
2. Applications that require a specific kernel module, or module version, that is not included in the existing distribution.
3. Applications that require direct access to block or character devices.
4. Applications that require NPTL.

Unfortunately the host won't get involved in configuring the VPS so I wondered, can anyone tell me if I could achieve the above spec within their restrictions?. For example, I believe I can install Smarty, the IonCube loader file and ImageMagik, but would they work?

Also, will I need a degree in SSH to even use this? Once configured I need to set up sites, email accounts etc. and I believe that with the root option you don't get a control panel.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jdseymour
Re: Root control of VPS?

Peekay, on a VPS you have to remember that even though it is virtual, it is still your server. You add the programs and make the configs yourself not the host. All that you listed can be installed or configured yourself.

On VPS the host supplies the os and maybe the control panel, you install and configure as you need. The only restriction my and most VPS hosts have is no irc programs.

HTH.

I also have a mailing list I am trying to form for mutual help in this area. The link is:
Virtual Private Server Users Group

Peekay
  • 2006/2/3 12:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx jdseymour.

I understand that with a shared hosting plan you have to shop around and get the best features you can. I just expected that if I was buying a VPS service, I would be able to provide a 'spec' and the host would configure the server for me (for a fee).

I have sent a few more emails asking specifically for that service. Failing a response, I guess I need to get up to speed on Linux server admin!

I joined your Yahoo group.

Do you know if I would be able to set up everything on my wish-list myself and keep within the restrictions imposed by that particular host?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jdseymour

The only thing on your list I am not familiar with is Ion Cube.

Other than that all should be configurable.

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits