FullestEmpty
News module without 'Submit News' and 'Archive'.. and a bunch of other stuff...

Hi. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Beginner's Corner or in Module Usage.. so all apologies in advance.. but here goes anyway..

I was wondering if there was any way of getting rid of certain features from the News module (version 1.1), or if there exists a minimal/alternative version of the News module...

Basically, I would very much prefer it if there was no 'Submit News' or 'Archive' section with the module.

I'd also like to get rid of the topics, comments and reads... hah, what a big ask. With getting rid of commends and reads, I think I'd be able to edit the appropriate code template, but I don't know where the code would be stored... Anyone know?

I had a few more queries but I can't remember now... If anyone can help, I wouldn't mind bearing your babies. Thanks in advance.

blindman
Re: News module without 'Submit News' and 'Archive'.. and a bunch of other stuff...
  • 2006/1/5 23:01

• blindman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/26

For archive link you could comment a line in xoopsversion.php. About submit link, try to set up permissions (only webmaster allowed to submit).
And finally, for clicks and comment counts and stuff, you could comment some code in the templates files like news_item.html. The same for blocks. Worked for me.
Don't follow me. I'm lost too.

FullestEmpty
Re: News module without 'Submit News' and 'Archive'.. and a bunch of other stuff...

Hey, thanks. I've not tried it yet but it sounds like it'll work. Much appreciated. Thanks.

tpr77
  • 2006/3/9 7:39

• tpr77

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/11

I was looking to do the same. Here is the code I used to get Submit News to only show up for admins

Modify the /modules/news/xoops_version.php

At around line 93

[FIND]
$modversion['sub'][1]['name'] = _MI_NEWS_SMNAME1;
$modversion['sub'][1]['url'] = "submit.php";

[REPLACE WITH]
global $xoopsUser;
if ( is_object($xoopsUser) && $xoopsUser->isAdmin() ) {
$modversion['sub'][1]['name'] = _MI_NEWS_SMNAME1;
$modversion['sub'][1]['url'] = "submit.php";
}

davidl2
Re: News module without Submit News and Archive.. and a bunch of other stuff...
  • 2006/3/9 11:28

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Excellent work - can you perhaps contact Hervet with these suggestions as well - perhaps disabling this can be an option in future news versions?

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits