kjs222
MySQL on Windows Installation
  • 2005/12/22 19:42

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/1 1

Hi All,

Hmmm... I must have installed XOOPS on Linux 25+ times. Now I need to install it on Windows, and I am once again reminded of how much I love Microsoft (enough said).

So, I'll keep this short, and hopefully some Windows-saavy xoopster out there can quickly tell me where I'm messed up.

1. This client is on GoDaddy's windows NT server... not my choice :).

2. My error is one that I've seen many times on this forum:

Warning [PHP]: extension_loaded() has been disabled for security reasons in file d:hostingjkrenpublic2classdatabasemysqldatabase.php line 74
Error 
[Xoops]: MySQL extension not loaded in file d:hostingjkrenpublic2classdatabasemysqldatabase.php line 74

3. You can see PHP info and the error message on my joint phpinfo/index.php screen:

http://pursuingwisdom.org/public2/index.php

4. Due to not having access to the host machine (foolish GoDaddy binds our hands - it hurts us!), I actually populated the database manually, edited mainfile.php manually, and then tried index.php...

========================================

My Quesions:

- is this for sure a problem with php.ini?
- Could it be some problem with XOOPS configuration?
- If it is a problem with php.ini - how could I solve this given that my hands are tied on a foolish windows shared hosting account with GoDaddy?

Many thanks in advanced. I'll also accept the answer "screw foolish Windows and move the client to linux"... I'm already [] close to doing so.

Cheers,
Keith
Oh Canada!... Best episode ever.

kjs222
Re: MySQL on Windows Installation
  • 2005/12/22 22:59

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

Haha, too late - I'm switching to Linux. Ahhh, good old linux. If anyone else is in my situation, my personal recommendation is Linux. It just works. Go with a trusted shared hosting plan (I personally use icdsoft.com), and laugh your way to a simple setup and reliable service.

Wishing never to deal with a Windows server again...

Keith

Dave_L
  • 2005/12/22 23:08

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
I'm switching to Linux.

A wise decision.

kjs222
  • 2005/12/22 23:25

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

Wise indeed.

Stats:

Windows install time: 10 hours

Linux install time: 15 minutes

Conclusion... hmmm... hard to say.

brash
  • 2005/12/23 3:20

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I have no problems with a persons personal preference to Windows or *nix, but when people say that an operating system is something less than it should be because they can't get it to work it REALLY p1sses me off (regardless of whether they are bagging Windows or Linux as I use both). The fact that you lack the technical know how to install and configure Xoops/MySQL on a Windows system is in no way a short coming of Microsofts operating systems, so don't pretend it is anything otherwise. I have had zero problems with running PHP/MySQL/Xoops on a Windows/IIS platform for around 3 years, and there an many more who have had the same success as well.

Conclusion: The fact that you were unable to get XOOPS running on a Windows platform is in no way a short coming of that system, and is instead due to a lack of your technical knowledge.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

kjs222
  • 2005/12/23 3:54

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

... The fact that you lack the technical know how to install and configure Xoops/MySQL on a Windows system is in no way a short coming of Microsofts operating systems, so don't pretend it is anything otherwise....

I hardly have to defend my statement. The figures provided show that (for me) Windows was either too complicated or too foriegn or to restrictive or something. Therefore, for me, Linux was an immensley better solution, and therefore I endorse it.

If you feel Windows is better for some reason, that's great. It probably means you know how to set up Windows far better than I do. You could probably setup Linux better than I too! Way to go!

Cheers,
Keith

kjs222
  • 2005/12/23 4:05

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

BTW brash,

I do congradulate you for being a Microsoft IIS MVP.

Resized Image

Best wishes,
Keith

kheldar
  • 2005/12/23 5:47

• kheldar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/29

I've had problems on both linux & win2000/win2003 but I've managed to get it to work on both.

The really nice thing is MySQL itself, it has no problems moving databases between OS's, different versions of mysql, the "dos" interface works the same on either system

being able to edit the mysqldump file has been a lifesaver.

The 2 big advantages that I see that linux has are.

1. It generally free

2. Its easier to turn the system into an "appliance", ie you can give a customer a complete solution, and all he uses is a web interface, no need for a monitor, keyboard.

I've been running MySQL on windows servers for 3-4 years, and they've been basically problem free.

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits