coopersita
automatically assign a user to a group

Is there a way to do that?

I want to make a site where users can create their own groups, and ask other users to join their group.

You could create a group, but only join an existing group by invitation.

Is that possible?

Peekay
Re: automatically assign a user to a group
  • 2005/12/10 22:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I assume you've seen Registration Codes. I actually want to use that, but there's a file that the dev needs to update to make it work with XOOPS 2.0.10+ and it hasn't happened yet. (hint)

I recall seeing a forum post here about a groups module but there was some contention over it with the moderators and it the thread was deleted. It's gone from my notifications list too, so I can't point you to it.

A user-created groups feature is a pretty rare beast. In the past, I've looked at 'Siteframe Lagrange' (superceded by Siteframe Beaumont Beta 4) and Alstrasoft's 'eFriends' (a commercial clone of Tribe.net). Both let users create groups. Siteframe was o.k. but the dev was serious about the non-commercial Creative Commons licence. Haven't tried the new release.

eFriends is an excellent concept but visually messy. They keep adding new features without resolving existing issues.

I have some notes on a couple of other commercial solutions somewhere if you're interested.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Peekay
  • 2005/12/10 22:15

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Progress. Siteframe Beaumont is released under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0.

coopersita

I guess what I really want is to be able to make a site like yahoo groups, or google groups...

jegelstaff

Thanks for the vote of support Peekay! You have inspired me to take a look at those files and update this module. With the holidays right around the corner, it won't happen right away, but we'll release something in the new year.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Peekay
  • 2005/12/22 13:34

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

@jegelstaff.
That's nice to know. I'll keep an eye out for it next year.

jegelstaff

FYI: we now have a very nice integration between Formulize and RegCodes, which lets you make a custom form that can be used as part of the account details form which users see when they register, and when they click on Edit Account and View Account.

And it is all built around 2.0.13.2.

This will be released with the next Formulize patch, which I would expect by the end of Feb.

--Julian

Peekay
  • 2006/2/17 14:57

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Thx for the update.

jegelstaff

Just a quick update...

Registration Codes 2.0 has been released, featuring integration with XOOPS 2.0.13 and integration with Formulize to provide a custom account profile form, used for account creation and on the Edit Account and View Account screens. For more information, check out this page:

http://www.freeformsolutions.ca/formulize

--Julian

jegelstaff
Re: IMPORTANT...re-download Formulize 2.0.6

Hello,

If you are a very early adopter of this module, ie: you downloaded it and Formulize 2.0.6 in the last day, then you should go get the 2.0.6 patch again and reapply. A bug fix has been added to the patch, to correct a problem that actually renders Registration Codes completely useless.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits