xueming
How to add a flash introduction page before load xoops web site
  • 2005/10/28 14:53

• xueming

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/2/7 6

All,

This might not related to xoops, but can anyone advise on how to add a flash introduction before loading the XOOPS site? Thanks

charpres
Re: How to add a flash introduction page before load xoops web site
  • 2005/10/28 15:06

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

It should just be a matter of having an index.htm file with the Flash intro that then goes to your XOOPS index.php. Since index.htm "outweighs" an index.php file, the htm will load first. However, there are disadvatages, like the Flash intro popping up again if the user goes "home" without using your specific home link that would be back to the php file.

To my mind, however, Flash intros suck.

One major use of a good CMS like XOOPS is to encourage frequent visits and to present a good bit of information on a central page.

Nothing is more annoying to a frequent visitor than to have to see the same boring Flash intro on every visit.

I think you should first reconsider whether you want to annoy your users for the sake of something pretty.

Flash intros are better suited to a corporate information site that is not updated much and has mostly once-only visitors.

xueming
  • 2005/10/28 15:30

• xueming

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks charpres!! I agree with you that it will annoy people when they visit the site frequently. But one of my potential clients want it, so I try to make it work for him.

Quote:
It should just be a matter of having an index.htm file with the Flash intro that then goes to your XOOPS index.php.

So that means I have to edit the flash file to add the index.php in there. Is it right? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have no idea about how this flash works :) The reason I ask this is that he has his own flash file already, can I just use it or do I have to edit it?

If you can point me some reference, I will appreciated. I have search the internet, and all I can find is how to make flash files.

Thanks again.

Rudix
  • 2005/10/28 16:08

• Rudix

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/2/28

Put the XOOPS in another directory? www.thedomain.tld/xoops/ ?

charpres
  • 2005/10/28 16:28

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

As Rudix said, you could also have XOOPS in a different directory. I have my own misgivings about not having XOOPS in the root directory, however.

Either way, your index.html or index.htm file with the Flash code would either have a link (click to enter our site) or a timeout that goes to the index.php --which is always the XOOPS main entry point.

So, the simple thing is to have a very short index.htm that starts with the flash code and ends with a graphic or text link, "ENTER" or whatever, that is a simple link to "http://www.yoursite/index.php" or "http://www.yoursite/xoops/" if you want to put XOOPS in a different directory.

If you want a timeout that automatically loads XOOPS after a few seconds, then it would be best to edit the Flash code to go to your XOOPS main page after the Flash plays.

davidl2
  • 2005/10/28 16:41

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Thats pretty much what I do with 2 of my sites... although having a "skip past the flash demo" link is a nice idea

xueming
  • 2005/10/28 20:11

• xueming

• Not too shy to talk

Wow !! I think I get a pretty good idea about what need to be done now. I have been struggle for a couple of days ...

Thank you all for the great help !!!!

charpres
  • 2005/10/28 20:33

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

David: I'll always remember FGTH as the first CD that made buying an expensive (at the time) CD player a must. Still a great CD to play.

davidl2
  • 2005/10/28 22:31

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Indeed - Welcome To The Pleasuredome was a great one for a first disk ... just wondering what the new 3rd album out next year (which is being recorded now) will be like

BTW - great site... using the news module as a Blog module is quite inventive indeed!

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits