rebenta
Modify register user form - a sugestion for who have done it
  • 2005/10/6 14:49

• rebenta

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/23

Please, someone who have modify your user profile form can make a text/tutorial/manual to explain how add/modify fields and add new user fields on database, step by step?
We donĀ“t have any good material for explain how to do it and the almost of topics who I have seen are confused.
It will be very helpfull for XOOPS Comunity.

McNaz
Re: Modify register user form - a sugestion for who have done it
  • 2005/10/6 15:02

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

You mean something like this or this?. I had to add an new table for my module and link in the extended user profile table and the Xoops' user table via a UID.

Thankfully, XOOPS 2.2 comes with an extendable user profile module, which should make it alot easier to do in future. I would, however, recommend caution on using Xoops2.2 on a production site as it is still under testing and development.

Good luck.

gtop00
  • 2005/10/6 15:41

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Dear McNaz,

Your examples are very good especially the second one.
Since many people will stay for long (as it seems) at XOOPS 2.0x, it would be very nice to have some completed instructions how to make a customized form.

From the other side, I was thinking if it could be possible to integrate one of the existing modules (like survey, Liaise etc) to do the same job and keep the database clean.

My necessity is about an "automated club subscription module" which is missing from XOOPS and it does not exist even for XOOPS 2.2 (yet?).

The task that it should have is to give the possibility to the subscriber to automatically assign himself to a specified member group as long as he selects some predefined options in the registration form AND the administrator gives the OK (in a future time it could be a payment procedure).

I am very sorry but I do not know if and how it can be done.

McNaz
  • 2005/10/6 16:05

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

IMHO, The cleanest way to do it is doing it in a dedicated module. The danger of hacking Xoop's user table is that is locks you into that XOOPS version, especially if a new version is released (security fix for example) then you will have to be very carefull when upgrading.

gtop00
  • 2005/10/6 16:50

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

This is exactly why I recomend an other module "joined" with the Xoop's user table!

For XOOPS 2.0x the form generators are ready (see mentioned modules), and
for XOOPS 2.2 the form is intergraded in the Extended profiles.

The functionality is only missing!

My problem is that I do not know how to do it since I am not a programmer!

jesore
  • 2005/10/7 12:04

• jesore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/19

Sometimes my timing is quite good, as I'm looking in exactly this kind of problem.
Our company wants to use XOOPS (afer evaluating a lot of other portal systems - your framework is great) as a community that requires membership in different levels - like free base membership and two or three more expensive levels.
The User already gets to choose what kind of membership they want at registration time. So, depending on what they want, the get different registration fields and maybe even a direct payment option (that's very distant at the moment though).

I'm now investigating, wether it would be easier to "include" the functionality we need in to the registration as it is or to write a completely new registration (via module), that makes heavy use of the user, group and profile classes - and forms of course.
I'm leaning towards writing a new module, as it shouldn't be that much work thanks to the advanced framework and it would make updates of XOOPS less painful - if the API stays stable.

Any experience on that matter or any practical tips on how to design such a module?
I'm especially interested in wether it is more elegant to use the original profile module and make my module an addition (make the two work together) or to write a complete new module and not use profile (besides inspiration of course).

Btw. I'm developing on XOOPS-2.2 already, as it will be some time, before we go online anyway.

gtop00
  • 2005/10/7 21:34

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Dear jesore,

I would be grateful if you could make something to work as a subscription modul.
There have been some attempts towards this direction with most promising the "MC Subscription Module" by 'cuckston'. Unfortunately the project stopped.
You can read the relative thread
here.

jesore
  • 2005/10/7 22:27

• jesore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/19

As we will put whatever I get to work under GPL, you'll get your hands on the code of course. It will be very specific for our needs though.
The module(s) will have the following features (subject to change):
- On registration time the user can choose wether he wants the free membership (group registered users) or a membership to our association (www.webmasters-europe.org if you're curious ).
Also we offer companies the possibility to join. The most important feature they will get is to associate users with their company, making them "paid" members.
So essentially that last level will be a "buy several memberships" and one user can upgrade several others. Also the company information can be shown with every associated user.
There are currently no plans for different levels of membership, like the typical "normal" and "gold", so I don't think, I'll put functionality like that into the code. But I promise to keep the code expandable.

My personal plans for the project are to integrate SimpleTest into the XOOPS framework (already done on a primitive level) as we will use unit tests on this project and a decent php checkstyler. If I find time, I will repackage that into real modules that are releaseable.

As I'm relatively new to XOOPS (written two small modules till now - nothing very interesting) I'm grateful for any hints and tips on implementing that features.

Thanks for pointing me to the other thread by the way. Does anyone have that module for me to download?

gtop00
  • 2005/10/7 23:55

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

I do have a copy of the module. Just send me your E-mail by PM. (Aslo check your inbox!)

rebenta
  • 2005/10/17 16:45

• rebenta

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/23

Mr. Mcnaz

So, your way to make it is cool. But we want a manual/tutorial to explain step by step how can be done.
Can you tell us how do you make it and how do you connect your table with extend profile?

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits