mombiz
Cloning Modules
  • 2005/8/30 2:28

• mombiz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/15

A client wants me to install another newBB in the XOOPS that I installed and customized for her. Can this be done???

davidl2
Re: Cloning Modules
  • 2005/8/30 2:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Not very easily... however, do you actually need to install 2 seperate modules?

It may be easier to edit the templates for the module - and give it the appearance of appearing more than once... simple use of multi-menu will give 2 seperate entry points on a menu ... this will make it a lot easier to maintain as well.

mombiz
  • 2005/8/30 5:55

• mombiz

• Just popping in

Thanks for the reply!

My problem is that she wants to specify a group to view one bulletin board and another group to view another one. In other words, she wants specific boards for each group and wants to create specific board headings.

Can the template be tweaked to do this and if so how?

davidl2
  • 2005/8/30 7:29

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I can't look right this minute - but _lance suggested something similar to someone asking the same question a couple of days ago - in this post:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40765&forum=20&post_id=178638#forumpost178638

I will try and look, but I suspect someone else here may beat me to this

Intuit
  • 2005/8/30 14:51

• Intuit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/2 1

It is actually pretty easy. Change the name of the folder, change the name of the module and folder within the xoops_version.php file. Also change the name of the database tables. Voila. At least this is what I remember doing when I cloned AMS.
--
I
http://www.articles4business.com - post your small business/financial/internet biz articles here to promote your site!
http://www.seductionhome.com

davidl2
  • 2005/8/30 15:00

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Its a little more involved than that... as you will have to go through all the module, look for functions and ensure the naming doesnt clash.

If you follow the above idea - you will not need to clone it, which means when a new update appears - you will not had to repeat the process of recloning. :)

xueming
  • 2005/8/30 15:58

• xueming

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/2/7 6

I agree with davidl2. using that approach, it might work with some module, but not all the modules.

I cloned a module recently. It is doable, but not easy. Here is what I did and this is kind of tedious but it works

First, I replace the old module name (directory name) with the new module name on all instances. Yes, on all instances. Which means filename/files/directories ... And if the first letter is capital, I will follow that also.

Second, You need to change the database table name.

a)if the table is named as module_name_table_name, then it is easy, just change it to new_module_name_table_name.

b)If the table name is just a table_name, then you need chage it to a new_table_name. And also you need to go through all your files again to search for the table_name and replace it with new_table_name.

This wil give you a clone of the module without try to understand anything in the code. (THis is the easy part :)

HTH

mombiz
  • 2005/8/31 18:13

• mombiz

• Just popping in

You guys are great! Thanks a bunch davidl2, xueming and intuit!

Have a great day!

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits