akakilo131
Editing the homepage
  • 2005/8/21 18:34

• akakilo131

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/21

I know this is going to be a stupid question, however I have been in the admin menu for an hour now and just do not see how to edit the content of the homepage. I have all the links to my left and the rest is just a white page with the XOOPS logo in the top left and there banner at top center. What am I overlooking here?

rowdie
Re: Editing the homepage
  • 2005/8/21 19:38

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

It's not a stupid question at all.

Content is added mainly through blocks and/or modules. Try out the blocks for yourself in the admin side to discover what you can do with them

For the homepage, you can either set a module to display it's content (which is an option in admin->preferences->general settings) or add blocks to the page (admin->blocks).

If you need more than just placing custom blocks of content on your site, you should look for a module that serves your purpose. There's heaps of them, for news, photo albums, articles, downloads, links.. just take a browse through the module repository here to find what you're after.

Some links to help:

Xoops for dummies: a terrific resource to learn about Xoops

Official docs: which Carnuke has temporarily made available for download on his personal site, as the offical docs.xoops site is currently being rebuilt.

JDSeymour's tutorials: excellent Flash tutorials

Hope this helps

Rowd

Lance_
  • 2005/8/21 20:05

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Very important. Before you see anything on any page, you have to assign content to the page, then you have to assign permission to view that content on the page.

Just that took me a few months to get the real hang of it. And again today, I guarantee every single webmaster here has added content to their site then go look and not see it, only to get the flash that the permissions aren't set.

Takes a little playing with. The Docs above will help out.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

akakilo131
  • 2005/8/21 21:39

• akakilo131

• Just popping in

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I am not completely new to this type of thing just to Xoops. It seems to be pretty straight forward, kind of reminds me of Post Nuke in a way.
I was looking for a shoutbox for XOOPS and was only able to find 1. I have it installed and running but really dont like its demensions. I want it to be top center across my forums page. I can get it top center but the height of it is to big for my taste. I can see how to edit the iframe but that doesnt do anything for the entire block itself, just the content area. Is there a way to size this to my likeing? I want it to be as wide as the forums are.
Sorry, one other question, I cant seem to find how to add new users, is that possible or must they register on there own?
Im trying to transfer a lot of users over from another site of mine manually.

terrion
  • 2005/8/21 23:10

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

From system admin module click on blocks. Make a couple of the system blocks "visible" and assign them to the top page. It should start making a little more sense after you try that...
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

akakilo131
  • 2005/8/21 23:47

• akakilo131

• Just popping in

Thanks, much appreciated terrion.
I have the homepage almost sorted but am still a little confused on some things that are probably quite simple. Still trying to figure out how to make the width of my shoutbox the same width as my forum. Also trying to figure out how someone adds comments?

One more thing on the homepage, is there a particular mod or block that would be good for the homepage. when I set the homepage to headlines it gave me Xoops, I kind of like the way its laid out but need something I can edit myself when ever needed.

Lance_
  • 2005/8/22 0:46

• Lance_

• Home away from home

Sorry, can't help with shoutbox, dont, use it.

For the mod for homepage, news is usually the popular choice. Myself, I don't usually put a module as my homepage but create the homepage from a collection of available blocks from the modules.

akakilo131
  • 2005/8/22 1:46

• akakilo131

• Just popping in

That sounds pretty interesting, can you give me a small example of what blocks you use?

Lance_
  • 2005/8/22 2:23

• Lance_

• Home away from home

Check out the second link in my signature.

You'll see a block from wf-quotes, one from news. In the middle all custom blocks with the bottom 2 running javascript to pull up the info. and on the right another custom block and the MultiMenu blocks.

I also inverted the usual aspect of center-center blocks to be below the center-right and center-left blocks.

Another block that will probably find itself on the main page is Recent posts from the forums.

Peace.

fong1sky
  • 2005/8/22 10:05

• fong1sky

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/22

I want to know can I or how can I make the News display sub category news seperately.
Just like display 5 newest news of Category1 on center left and 5 newest news of Category2 on right.

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits