angaran
Best Xoops Forum Module?
  • 2005/8/21 12:53

• angaran

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/8/17

Hi,
can you share your experience and tell me what's the best XOOPS forum module available?

I'm using Newbb 2 right now but i don't feel completely happy with it.

Thanks..

smdcom
Re: Best Xoops Forum Module?

have you try CBB?

Lance_
  • 2005/8/21 13:35

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

I suggest you stick with CBB. Try to stay away from others that mess with core files.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

mboyden
  • 2005/8/21 14:05

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I'd echo the sentiments of using CBB. CBB was made by the same core developers that built newBB that until 2.2 was included in the core download of XOOPS. It's a module that plugs in. Both phpBB and IPB, both very good forums, modify core files. I found that both of those, because of the core file hacks caused problems with other modules. I remember X-phpBB caused a problem with WF-Sections, but I don't remember what x-IPB did, and IPB now charges money for their system, too.

CBB works great for me and is easy to change templates and stylesheets and the likes. It's quite powerful as well. I'm sure there is something that it doesn't have that phpBB or IPB does, but so far, on my sites, it fits the bill quite nicely and I don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

What is it about newBB that you don't like? You might try using CBB as was suggested. I must admit that every module I've implemented has required me to work on the templates to get it to look the way I want it to. I expect it may be the same for you. However, changes to look and feel are sooooo much easier in XOOPS than the Nukes and others.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

angaran
  • 2005/8/21 15:55

• angaran

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/8/17

Thanks for your replies

I have already tried CBB but I don't like very much the various menus. Maybe I will have to play a bit with templates.

Thank you again.

EDIT: do you know some demo sites where I can see the other forum modules?

terrion
  • 2005/8/21 18:03

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

There's a very nice XOOPS site running IPB at www.aviary.info

I would echo what's already been said though and encourage you to stick with CBB.

Curiosity is killing me though, what is it exactly you don't like about newbb/cbb?
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

jdseymour

I will have to further echo the agreement here, using CBB makes life much easier, from a security perspective as well as a carefree regular upgrade perspective. Most of the 3rd party modules require hacks that have to be redone for each XOOPS upgrade, that leaves your site open for attack while waiting for new hacks to be created. Then on the flipside, the third party forum most of the time will have further vulnerabilities that will require a rewrite of the module, with a newer version of the program (not a patch as with CBB) to fix the flaw.

So over all for functionality, ease of use, and for security, CBB is the way to go for most sites. Mine included.

stefan88
  • 2005/8/21 21:05

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Why not use newbb1?

davidl2
  • 2005/8/21 21:13

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Because it is no longer really being supported, and it is still the predecessor of CBB.

jdseymour

Old and no longer supported. Some offshoots such as herves newbbex and GIJOE's xhnewbb-1.1 are very good and viable modules based on newbb 1.

Login

Who's Online

61 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 61

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits