jimbofoxman
Forum Login, every visit.........WHY?

I am still setting up my own XOOPS site, but why when I come here do I have to login on every visit?

THANKS

ladon
Re: Forum Login, every visit.........WHY?
  • 2005/4/4 17:50

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Do you mean having to log on every time here or on your own website? If you mean thisone, probably not gonna change, security issues. If you mean your own website, download GiJOE's autologin hack

jimbofoxman

Good, I'll look up the GIJoe Hack for my site.

Security issues? Huh....

brash
  • 2005/4/4 23:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

As my limited understanding of how auto logins work, you have two ways of doing it;

1) Using a hugely extended custom session (which is supported by XOOPS without hacks), and is generally pretty secure (I think, not sure though)). The trade off is that it can put huge loads on your server in maintaining these sessions, especially for high traffic sites.

2) Using a cookie. This removes the need for custom sessions, but is considered a security risk as your username and password are physically stored (even though it is encrypted as an MD5 hash to my understanding) on the computer. This means there is no way of garanteeing that you, and only you get use of this cookie.

I've used GIJOE's hack for quite a while now with no issues. Also if you want verification on the above, then GIJOE is the man to ask as he is the XOOPS security guru.

Login

Who's Online

103 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 103

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits