Cavan
New Irish genealogy site opened---first shot at Xoops!
  • 2005/4/4 4:08

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/28

Well, after several months of learning Xoops, we've finally gotten our genealogy site up and running.

Our site is only open to registered users, specifically to those interested in Irish genealogy. Regardless, we'd appreciate some feedback here from other XOOPS users/webmasters. Pros or cons, we'd like to here both.

Please click xxxxxxx to visit the site.

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, temporarily disabled.

brash
Re: New Irish genealogy site opened---first shot at Xoops!
  • 2005/4/4 5:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Nice clean look. After registering and logging in, it seems that I don't have permissions to view anything but the forums. I also seemed to be getting logged out for no apparent reason .

Cavan
  • 2005/4/4 5:26

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

brash:

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure why you're getting logged-out, since I use a custom session (is a week too long?). Also strange that you're not able to access anything but the forums---that's the first I've heard that.

Any ideas?

brash
  • 2005/4/4 5:34

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

I'd be suggesting group permissions for the registered users group will need some looking at. In your XOOPS admin area, make sure the registered users group has module access rights to all the modules they should.

As for the custom session thing, looks like it is breaking somewhere. Are you sure all your session variables in you PHP environment are setup correctly? Do you get logged out at all as webmaster?

Cavan
  • 2005/4/4 5:45

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

brash:

Here's a screenshot of the Registered Users group settings...

Resized Image

I don't see anything wrong there.

I'm not sure about the session variables but I do know that if I don't use a custom session, users have to log-in twice before accessing anything, hence the custom session.
FYI, I do not get logged-out of the site.

Edit: I changed the custom session to 24 hours (86400 secs.) and also (I don't know if this is an issue), I don't use caching on any of the modules.

brash
  • 2005/4/4 5:58

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Nope, your settings there look spot on. I have never in 2.5 years of using XOOPS seen such trouble with setting up and XOOPS site as yours. A GREAT reason for there to be an XOOPS environment checker that runs through all your hosting environment settings to ensure they are compatible with Xoops. Similar to what mambo does on intallation.

I think we created a phpinfo.php file earlier in another thread. Have a look through it and look for the session.save_path variable. Have a look inside the path specified for this setting, and make sure session data is actually been written.

Cavan
  • 2005/4/4 6:08

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

Here's a screenshot of the session variables:

Resized Image

Sorry, but I'm not familair enough with these to know if what's here is accurate and actually funtioning properly.

brash
  • 2005/4/4 6:28

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Do you have telnet or ssh access to your host?

Cavan
  • 2005/4/4 8:32

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

brash,

Sorry, I don't use either Telnet or SSH and I honestly don't know much about either clients, not to mention if my host even allows using them.

brash
  • 2005/4/4 8:39

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

No matter, we only need to see what permissions are set on /tmp so FTP access *might* be enough. Are you able to see what permissions are set on the /tmp directory at all?

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits