terrion
Changing display mode to FLAT in newBB
  • 2005/3/31 23:01

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Is there an easy way to change the default display mode to FLAT (instead of threaded) and "Newest First" with the newbb module that is currently being distributed with XOOPS 2.0.9.2?

Thanks in advance,

reddshack
Re: Changing display mode to FLAT in newBB
  • 2005/4/1 11:55

• reddshack

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/31

I was wondering the same thing.^ I know that users can set their own preferences, but what about the anons? How can it be set to default to something for them?

ladon
  • 2005/4/1 12:41

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Not by using any build in options, newbb2 does offer that option though, but that’s not the answer you want I guess.

It's should not be to hard to accomplish with newbb1 though. I don’t remember whether the following is coded in the templates (I think so) or in the php files so I don’t know the exact files and lines (I’m at work) so I can’t tell you exactly. All you have to do is find the template or php file that displays the thread and look for a part of code which is responsible for display type and order. Look for something like this: “IF view == thread include newbb_viewtopic_thread.html” and replace all includes with “newbb_viewtopic_flat.html”

I’m sorry I cant be more specific atm

reddshack
  • 2005/4/1 13:01

• reddshack

• Just popping in

Thanks for the above help.

Well, I didn't realize that a there was a new newbb out, so I downloaded the latest version 2. In this version I'm seeing the option to change in the Forum Preferences:

"View Mode of the Threads

To override the General Settings of viewmode within threads, set to NONE in order to switch feature off"

The options are None, flat, and threaded. Where is the option for sort order though? To default the sort order to either Newest or Oldest?

Or perhaps this isn't the right place for me to be making changes at all.... I don't know. So in newBB v2.0.2, where do I set the default options for how threads/posts are displayed/viewed? (such as for an anon that doesn't have an account to specify these settings on their own)

ladon
  • 2005/4/1 13:11

• ladon

• Quite a regular

Don't know for sure if that is an option that can be changed in newbb2 only (still at work ) . Changing it in XOOPS system settings will do the trick anyway, unless you want comments to be displayed in a different order then the forumposts. Once again, if the option isn't available you could change the code, probably pretty much in the same way as in my previous post.

reddshack
  • 2005/4/1 13:32

• reddshack

• Just popping in

So the setting for comments in the system preferences also affects the setting for forum posts?

ladon
  • 2005/4/1 13:43

• ladon

• Quite a regular

well, actually setting the commentsystem as you call it is a systemsetting that is for comments (which is used in many modules) and used by newbb1 and 2. Th difference is that in newbb2 these settings can be overwritten by the forumsettings.

so basicly, the answer is: yes

reddshack
  • 2005/4/1 13:50

• reddshack

• Just popping in

Awesome!! That makes sense, thank you. I wonder why though the forum settings only list Flat and Threaded, when in the system settings it offers the options of Flat, Threaded and Nested?

Maybe because they are developed by 2 separate groups?

ladon
  • 2005/4/1 14:00

• ladon

• Quite a regular

Nested would be useless actually. Nested is like threaded but the indented messages aren’t visible unless you click on them. This would make reading a thread pretty tiresome .+

It's usefull in comments because often a few different discussion ge on in one news/download/etc item. You can just go to the right discussion without having to scroll a mile are two before reaching it, while being confused by replys that have nothing to do with eachother. (do I actually make sence....)

reddshack
  • 2005/4/1 14:19

• reddshack

• Just popping in

Yeah, that makes sense. Because in a Forum all of the posts are just reply's to each other, one after the other, whereas with comments they could be a reply to the top, the 3rd, or 54th comment etc. Makes sense.

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits