asche
How interesting is Eclipse for Xoops and community?
  • 2005/3/29 12:19

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

... as a job-seeking dba with interest in Business Intelligence I have a great interest in freely available and well documented opensource software. So it is not surprising that I stumble across Eclipse ide more often.

example Eclipse BIRT project:
Eclipse BIRT project
Search anyfinder for eclipse "BIRT Project" actuate

my last stumble across eclipse in context with sap:
SAP NetWeaver - WAS 6.40 testdrive for linux on maxdb
WAS testdrive for Linux - "insights"

Looking from a php-point-of-view, the eclipse php-plugin should be more interseting:
PHPEclipse

So if anybody has an idea where eclipse development could be interesting for XOOPS then please make a comment. Also I'd be glad to find people interested in XOOPS and Eclipse.

Mithrandir
Re: How interesting is Eclipse for Xoops and community?

I have tried eclipse several times, but every time left it again because it did not let me manage my files the way I wanted it to.

Eclipse is too oriented towards compiled languages and having all files available in a project that I had difficulties figuring out where the file, I was editing, was actually located.

I use Zend because although it is not cheap, it is a very good tool with code analyzer, files grouped into projects regardless of physical location, project-wide search, code insight etc.

Before, I used to use PHP Coder but it was not very stable and lacked a few of the things in Zend 3.0 at the time. It may have evolved into "Magma" or something, but I think I tried it and didn't like it or get it to work properly. So I'm still using Zend, version 4.0 atm.

wdsl1
  • 2005/3/29 14:23

• wdsl1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/3

have anyone tested this modul for eclipse?

http://www.phpeclipse.de/tiki-view_articles.php

I tested it for oven an year and i loved it. But since that time i din't workt on bigger project so i used a simplier engine, but for XOOPS Core developer is this a good alternative for other IDE.

mfg
wdsl

asche
  • 2005/3/29 16:35

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

thanks for answering and info about Zend. I surfed a bit (please see links below) and found many pros for Zend, but dont want to spend about $300,- for my "getting-to-know-needs".

So I will be installing Eclipse with Yoxos (are there any other "ready-run-eclipse"?), just to be able to run plugins and projects which pop up around eclipse like mushrooms (main interest is eclipse B.I.R.T project).

For anybody who is interested I will post a couple of links (mostly refering to features of eclipse and zend ide), but my own interest is getting infos about "eclipse-BI-projects".

zend-studio
Zend Development Environment 4.0.0 beta + Zend Studio Serverl
Zend brings PHP to The Enterprise
trustudio - php and python ide bult on eclipse
-> interesting to compare zend 4.0 with this enhanced eclipse ide
NuSphere PhpED IDE - 3.3.3

Last but not least a short description of Eclipse and Zen:

Eclipse
Perhaps the most useful of tools available under the Linux platform, Eclipse is a framework for producing IDEs for whatever language or feature set is required. Written primarily by IBM in Java, Eclipse is a great tool for producing an IDE which does exactly what you need it to do. A plug-in is used to convert Eclipse into the required IDE, and plug-ins to match almost every task can be found easily on the Web. Eclipse is open source software running under the CPL licence.
Among the PHP and Python adaptations for the Eclipse framework are Xored TruStudio and PHPEclipse, open source projects which convert Eclipse into a powerful IDE for rapid production of Web site back ends.

PHPEd and Zend Studio
Two good commercial IDEs are NuSphere's PHPEd and Zend Technologies' Zend Studio. Both programs speed up the rate that you can program PHP, especially when you are not too sure of the functions available for a task. The programs boast a large number of functions, including integrated debuggers, function reference, CVS and FTP access, and project management. Neither program is open source, however, and they can be expensive when used with the other programs that each company produces, such as code optimizers and servers.

asche
  • 2005/4/21 11:08

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

Maybe Eclipse ist not important for XOOPS, but it is very interesting for Zend users, because not only IBM Websphere Studio is using Eclipse as ide, but also SAP uses Eclispe SDK in "Developer Studio". SAP also has a great interest in Zend as you can see below.

Intel Capital and SAP Ventures invest undisclosed sum in Zend
ZEND TECHNOLOGIES ANNOUNCES STRATEGIC INVESTMENTS BY INTEL AND SAP VENTURES

I was surprise how fast SAP digs into open source, side by side with IBM. This is a interesting perspective for people intersted in open source business intelligence.

PS:
Here you can find a nice ppt about "Eclipse and its Corona"
http://www.oservaringen.nl/oservaringen/presentaties/Eclipse-OSErvaringen.ppt

PPS:
For anybody who is interested -> you can find some interesting "categories" concerning this topic with searchengine www.anyfinder.de click here

asche
  • 2005/4/21 11:54

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

this link is more interesting from a technical view:
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2004/EclipseCon_2004_TechnicalTrackPresentations/48_Kessler.pdf

asche
Re: How interesting is Eclipse ... Zend Core for Oracle
  • 2005/5/25 15:30

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

Zend is getting ahead with Oracle:
Zend Core for Oracle

So Zend is partnering with both SAP and Oracle, which both are members of the Eclipse board.

asche
Re: How interesting is Eclipse ... Zend, NuSphere and IntelliJ
  • 2005/5/27 22:28

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Mithrandir,

how dou you compare Zend, NuSphere and IntelliJ?

After digging into Eclipse - and being surprised that Eclipse is no.1 ide (at least after jboss donating jbuilder to eclipse) - I wonder what is the ultimate tool (besides Eclipse, because it is opensource)?

Links:
Tools make php shine

java jams: five IDEs tested

asche
Re: How interesting is Eclipse ... Actuate Leads Open Source Reporting System Initiative
  • 2005/6/2 22:35

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

http://www.intelligententerprise.com/channels/infomanagement/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47901160

Actuate Leads Open Source Reporting System Initiative
Strategic developer partnership with eclipse foundation brings reporting to Java IDE and developer base.

By Eric Rogge

VentanaMonitor™

Summary
Actuate announces that it has joined the Eclipse Foundation as a strategic developer and board member. A completely new open-source reporting system will be contributed by Actuate to the Eclipse project portfolio. This project, called Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT), is one of six major project initiatives for the foundation and is expected to be available for use 2005. BIRT would be an addition to Eclipse's already leading Java Integrated Development Environment (IDE). For Actuate, this initiative builds awareness of its products within the open source and application development communities. Through the arrangement with Eclipse, Actuate will launch commercial products based upon BIRT within one year of BIRT's availability (2005).

Analysis
On August 24th, 2004, Actuate Corporation announced that it has joined the Eclipse open source foundation as a strategic developer and a member of the board. Further, Actuate has proposed a new open source development project called Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT). This proposal intends to give Actuate a strategic advantage in the BI market by being the first BI vendor to offer (indirectly) an open source reporting software product.

Actuate's Eclipse proposal will be available to the public for review and comment within 30 days of the announcement date (August 24th, 2004) on the Eclipse web site. If this project is ultimately approved by the Eclipse board, it will be the first top-level Eclipse project for the development of applications that include business intelligence and enterprise reporting functionality. Actuate claims the source code will be developed anew, meaning no existing Actuate product code will be included. This will be comprised of three parts; a report development tool (written in Java), a report file definition standard (using XML), and a report execution engine (written in Java). The project will support Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. No commitments were made by Actuate concerning its implementation of other complimentary BI capabilities such as the recently announced EII, web or Microsoft Excel based ad-hoc query and reporting.

Eclipse has gained significant traction in the market with its Java IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and claims to have had over 29 million downloads from its site by over 640,000 organizations spanning 125 countries from the last 24 months. Its Java IDE has the largest market share, greater than IBM WebSphere Studio. This announcement is significant in that thousands, if not millions of Java developers will gain access to a new, license-fee free reporting technology.

If Eclipse developers choose to enhance BIRT and submit those enhancements, the quality of the code will be high and its usability will grow over time. A key aspect of the Eclipse model is the mandate for commercial products from corporate sponsors based on its open-source projects. Actuate fully intends to leverage this mandate, with commercial products planned for the Formula One brand (via its ReportingEngines subsidiary) and its Actuate iServer brand. While not stated explicitly, there will likely be a streamlined migration path to Actuate's core products. In fact, Actuate views this new initiative in part as a marketing vehicle, improving company awareness and product trial and familiarity. Its bet is that it can demonstrate sufficient value from its BIRT-derived commercial products to entice developers to license them.

Market Impact
It is unlikely that customers intending to license a business intelligence solution in the immediate future from a leading vendor (Actuate or otherwise) will postpone that purchase based upon Actuate's Eclipse announcement, because no new software is available. Yet this announcement raises the visibility of Actuate in the business intelligence and open source communities, as Actuate is the first significant BI vendor with an open source alternative.

Certainly, BIRT can become a preferred alternative when embedding reporting capabilities into other applications. This is a growing (but currently small) sector of the reporting technology market, especially because reports are more frequently deployed as part of operational applications. As no other leading BI vendor has initiated a similar open source project, this provides Actuate first-mover advantage.

Actuate's project may impact other open source-based reporting software, but these software products constitute a small part of the reporting market. Importantly, open source has not been a key requirement for mainstream reporting software purchases. The success of this approach will hinge upon the trade-off between upgrade convenience to Actuate's BIRT-derived commercial software and any significant advantages offered by reporting software from other competitors. Nonetheless, growing a cadre of developers who can easily upgrade to Actuate will aid Actuate in its efforts to build awareness.

Recommendation
For now, IT managers who are responsible for deploying BI solutions should continue with their plans for near term deployments. Developers who intend to deploy embedded Java-based reporting should review and comment on the Actuate proposal if they see the proposed project as advantageous. (Bear in mind that BIRT is only reporting and not a complete BI platform yet.)

When it becomes available sometime in 2005, BIRT can serve two purposes: provide a low-cost way to prototype embedded reporting and provide a low-cost way to embed reporting for small-scale use (5-200 users). Organizations will need to understand the cost and value of upgrading to Actuate's commercial products and take on source code maintenance if the BIRT platform is the only utilized application. Ventana Research believes at some time in 2005 or 2006, other vendors will be available to provide support and maintenance for BIRT.

Eric Rogge is VP & Research Director - Business Intelligence & Performance Management at Ventana Research (www.ventanaresearch.com), a research and advisory services firm.

Any more info about Actuate joining Eclipse?
search-anyfinder-for- actuate+eclipse+birt+microsoft+java+2005

asche
Re: How interesting is Eclipse ... Actuate’s Open Source Gambit
  • 2005/6/2 22:45

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

http://www.tdwi.net/Publications/display.aspx?id=7215&t=y

Actuate’s Open Source Gambit
9/1/2004

By Stephen Swoyer

Actuate Corp. last week joined the open-source Eclipse Foundation as a Strategic Developer, where it will rub elbows with the likes of IBM Corp. and Intel Corp as board members for the Eclipse Community.

At the same time, Actuate outlined plans for an open-source end-user reporting environment—called the business intelligence and reporting tool (BIRT)—that will be developed by company technologists in tandem with the Eclipse community. Like all Eclipse software, BIRT will be distributed free of charge. Actuate says BIRT will be the first top-level Eclipse project for the development of applications that have BI and enterprise reporting requirements.

Eclipse, of course, was launched nearly three years ago by IBM, which donated more than $40 million of code to kick start the effort. Big Blue’s goal was to spur the development of a one-size-fits-all integrated development environment (IDE) on which it could base its own WebSphere Studio IDE. Today, IBM takes the base Eclipse IDE, customizes it, and resells it as WebSphere Studio.

It’s likely that Actuate has a similar strategy in mind—although company officials are fuzzy on the details. “BIRT will be available as a download from the Eclipse Web site at no charge,” said Mark Coggins, senior vice-president of engineering with Actuate, in a conference call last week. “We also want to make a commercial offering on top of the BIRT technology,” Coggins confirmed, adding that Actuate is “putting together a product that will be appropriate for embedded Java reporting” that will be similar to its current Formula One offering.

In this respect, then, Actuate is taking a page from the playbooks of both the former Crystal Decisions Inc.—which a decade ago notched a deal to bundle Crystal Reports with Microsoft’s Visual Studio IDE—and Microsoft’s own SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services. The strategy is clear: Many applications have reporting requirements, and in order to address them, developers will tap solutions that are both widely available and easy to use.

In the long term, Actuate will include BIRT in its Actuate iServer reporting and BI platform, which, Coggins said, “will give BIRT access to the services that iServer provides for enterprise reporting,” such as “controlling reports, scheduling reports, [and] having access to a richer set of data sources."

The Eclipse membership roll reads like a Who’s Who of information technology vendors, from IBM and Intel to Oracle and SAP. Eclipse members have expressed varying levels of commitment to the effort, however. Big Blue, for example, markets an Eclipse-based product and has donated both code and hands-on technologists, while Oracle has produced no Eclipse-based products of its own. Instead, the database giant says it joined Eclipse to ensure that applications written in the Eclipse IDE work properly when deployed in Oracle environments. "We want to help anyone, in any environment, build to the Oracle runtime, even if it's not our tools. So for other IDEs, like Borland's JBuilder and Eclipse, we want to make sure that users who have chosen those runtimes and not ours still have a good experience building to the Oracle Application Server and Oracle database,” said Ted Farrell, chief architect for JDeveloper with Oracle, in an interview last December.

Actuate, for its part, has pledged to donate at least seven technologists to the BIRT project. That’s a sizeable commitment from a company that doesn’t have nearly the manpower or cash-on-hand reserves of an IBM, Intel, or Oracle. So what’s in it for Actuate?

"We’re able to attract lots more people into the reporting space," said Mike Thoma, vice-president of product marketing with Actuate, during the same call. Thoma predicts that as many as three million developers could be enticed to download and play around with BIRT. “If Actuate had to bring those three million people to its Web site, at $10 a head, that would be worth $30 million in advertising. … Just by joining Eclipse, we get an immediate bottom-line impact."

According to Thoma, Java developers will benefit most immediately from Actuate’s largesse. “The people that are developing applications have an opportunity to improve the user experience with a lot fewer calories by having embedded Java reporting available to them. The overall process benefits absolutely everyone,” he said. “We end up delivering a solution that was really designed for developers rather than taking a product that was designed by Actuate and putting it in their hands and having them figure it out.”

Thoma also waxed optimistically about the productized enhancements Actuate plans to deliver on top of the open source BIRT code base: “[A]s a result of developing those commercial products, we are going to be a force for a long period of time, and therefore continue to develop and expand the BIRT product."

Wayne Eckerson, director of The Data Warehousing Institute, says that Actuate has done much over the last 24 months to plug holes in its existing product line-up. “The only gap left is an end-user query [and] reporting tool, a la [Business Objects’] WebIntelligence, Hyperion Intelligence, etc.,” he notes. “It's probably a smart move to support an open-source BI tool directed at this target market. It takes on its top BI competitors by attacking their soft underbelly: the high license and maintenance fees they charge. So perhaps the strategy here is to hurt the leading BI competitors rather than to compete directly against them, while also plugging a gap in their lineup.”

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits