council
Locked Out Again
  • 2005/3/22 8:20

• council

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/18

Third time locked out of xoops. The previous two times tried all of the recommened solutions but none worked so ended up erasing installations and starting all over again, which meant I lost everything.

And now after putting months into my current XOOPS site, it's clear I'll have to do the same thing.

This is a major flaw in XOOPS that needs to be fixed. The current lock out is happening because I installed a new primary hard drive. It's not that I don't remember my username and password; it's that XOOPS no longer remembers it.

Xoops needs a fail safe or idiot-proof way of getting back into it in situations like this, a switch that can be pressed that will get you back into administration.

I hope I'm making myself clear.

This is ridiculous

ric

luciano
Re: Locked Out Again
  • 2005/3/22 9:09

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

What do you mean by "locked out"? It might be a simple mainfile.php problem.

I have 11 sites running on XOOPS without any problems...

council
  • 2005/3/22 15:16

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

luciano wrote:
What do you mean by "locked out"? It might be a simple mainfile.php problem.

I have 11 sites running on XOOPS without any problems...

Since installing a new primary hard drive, I can't log-in with the correct login username and password.

ric

showcase17
  • 2005/3/22 15:28

• showcase17

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/1/6 0

So your prob isn't xoops!

But do you backup regualary? If so you just have to put your backup back.

Mithrandir

With such a nice tone, how can one not respond nicely?

Quote:
Xoops needs a fail safe or idiot-proof way of getting back into it in situations like this, a switch that can be pressed that will get you back into administration.

how did you picture that one? A "recover.php" file that will let you in to the administration part? How would it know that you are you?

I would check the users table in the database before making any rash decisions such as clearing content. Note that the login check will fault if there are not exactly one row matching username and password. So if the user row is duplicated, login will fail.

Bender
  • 2005/3/22 15:51

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

You are still not very specific about what exactly happens. To which page are you returned after the failed attempt?

In the things you already tried:
Did you try to empty ´xoops_session´ table in the database?

JMorris
  • 2005/3/22 16:13

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
This is a major flaw in XOOPS that needs to be fixed. The current lock out is happening because I installed a new primary hard drive. It's not that I don't remember my username and password; it's that XOOPS no longer remembers it.

I hope I'm making myself clear.

This is ridiculous

No, sounds more like a PEBKAC error to me.

You can get a lot more bees with honey.....

council
  • 2005/3/22 17:30

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
With such a nice tone, how can one not respond nicely?

Quote:

how did you picture that one? A "recover.php" file that will let you in to the administration part? How would it know that you are you?

I would check the users table in the database before making any rash decisions such as clearing content. Note that the login check will fault if there are not exactly one row matching username and password. So if the user row is duplicated, login will fail.

I did not touch anything in the database. All I did was install a new primary hard drive afterwhich I could not log-in with my username and password.

That's the problem.

ric

council
  • 2005/3/22 17:32

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Bender wrote:
You are still not very specific about what exactly happens. To which page are you returned after the failed attempt?

In the things you already tried:
Did you try to empty ´xoops_session´ table in the database?

No, I have tried empty xoops_session table, mainly because when I tried that with my other installation of XOOPS a few months ago, nothing happened.

By the way, exactly how to I do that.

ric

DonXoop

It still isn't clear that you have something more than just a forgotten password. Is there another account with webmaster status that will get you in and fix the other? Perhaps the forgotten password routine?

Highly suggest getting the stand alone phpMyAdmin and placing it in it's own directory so it can be run independent of xoops. Configure per the readme and use the same name/password configured in XOOPS for the database. Pretty simple at that point to empty the session table or other maintenance you might require.

Meanwhile if you're using cPanel you can do the canned database repair option. You could also use the phpMyAdmin that might come with your cPanel if you're using that.

One more thing, you seem to be using several modules that require hacks to the core (your forums?). With such little activity in the forums perhaps you'd have less headaches staying with the XOOPS forums?

Other than that it is hard to say based on the description. There isn't a fundamental problem with XOOPS that would cause you to be locked out.

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits