Mr_RealSurf
How patch & update modules that are ports (eg from OScommerce)

Hi
I'm a complete newbie.

some of the modules I most want to add to my XOOPS site are ports of pre-existing applications. To be specific, I currently use the following on my non-xoops site:

*phpAdsNew
*phpBB
*OScommerce

In all three cases there have been recent patches and updates for these applications which my tech guy has installed to keep us up to date.

My question: if I have a XOOPS site using modules based on these applications, how do I manage the patching and updating process?

Supplementary question: are XOOPS modules effectively snapshots of the ported application at a particular stage in its development which cannot themselves be updated?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to being a useful member of the community when I begin to learn and get some experience in xoops!

-Don

Peekay
Re: How patch & update modules that are ports (eg from OScommerce)
  • 2005/3/18 11:59

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Don't know enough about modules to answer your question about how they are constructed, but you have identified a problem.

Unless the module is still developed and supported by it's creator, you may have a hard time patching security holes. The osCommerce mod is AFAIK unsupported. The xphpBBi port of phpBB is unsupported (developer just upped and went). The phpBB mod from bbpixel has limited support. By limited, I mean that there was no patch for the recent Santy worm that hit the version of phpBB used by the mod at the time, even though phpBB released a patch. The mod has been upgraded recently, but I opted for bbpixels IPB board, simply because it has better support.

Depends on your level of coding expertise I guess, but if a module developer's site is full of unanswered forum posts and you never see them answer a support request here, you may have to hack it yourself if there's a problem.

tzvook
Re: How patch & update modules that are ports (eg from OScommerce)
  • 2005/3/18 13:00

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

Mr_RealSurf wrote:
some of the modules I most want to add to my XOOPS site are ports of pre-existing applications. To be specific, I currently use the following on my non-xoops site:

*phpAdsNew
-Don

Hello Don
I used the phpAdsNew module, but from the 'upgrades' reason simply stoped using the module and started using the original - there's no reason to use the module ... they are almost the same anyway.

use the original and call the banners through your theme or with the help of HTML custum blocks.

phpAdsNew is great !!!!

Login

Who's Online

119 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 119

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits