mario
Need to email my 25,000 members getting error!
  • 2005/3/14 23:54

• mario

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/29

ok so i have a site with 25000 active registered members. i need to email them ALL..

through the regular admin panel i just get a blank page when i try and email the registered members group. it looks like it times out. is there perhaps a hack that can tell the system to email 500 at a time? i have contacted my host and they said its fine. i am running this script 2.09 on a dedicated server.

i have also tried the xmail module not getting a blank page and it returns to my site after about 2-3min. feels like it is sending out the email. my processor and memory go thorough the roof so i know something is happening but i do not see any results?

any help would be great. feel free to be as technical as you want.

brash
Re: Need to email my 25,000 members getting error!
  • 2005/3/15 1:57

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I'd say it going to take a lot more than a hack to be able to adequately handle a job of this size. I don't think there are any modules/hacks available at present that have the ability to handle such a large job. On one of the sites I help run we are using a list server for the 4500 or so users signed up for newsletters.

Myself and a few others have been throwing ideas around of paying a developer to write a module for XOOPS specifically to be able to mail out to very large user bases without killing the server. This is not a trivial task as the code must be very robust, efficient, scalable and secure. If you are interested let me know.

mario
  • 2005/3/15 17:54

• mario

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/29

i thought it would be easy to say have the sever compile the list of email. then break it down in to blocks of 500 (or set by the user), then send the email in bulks of 500 to prevent time outs. The biggest problem i think is the server timing out.

i have somewhat solved my problem by just uaing simple sql code to extract my list of emails, and adding them to my list server. i sucessfully sent out 27k emails no prob.

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/3/16 22:20

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

Quote:
brash wrote:

Myself and a few others have been throwing ideas around of paying a developer to write a module for XOOPS specifically to be able to mail out to very large user bases without killing the server. This is not a trivial task as the code must be very robust, efficient, scalable and secure. If you are interested let me know.

Have you looked at PHPlist? I have been thinking about integrating this as an XOOPS module for some time, but I know I won't get around to it. You could ask the author if he is interested in stripping out the bulk mailing code into a module for XOOPS, I am sure a fee would help ;)

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits