argo
Session Timeout While Writing Posts
  • 2005/3/5 3:32

• argo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/14

A user at out site wrote this about sessions timing out while writing posts, which a few of our users find annoying.

Quote:
The main annoyance is, of course, that if you time out, the screed you spent a decade writing disappears. Moz/Firefox will *usually* let you recover it if you go 'back' after logging in -- that's actually my habit, sign on in a separate tab so I can take the one step back and whack 'submit.' You can get into a 'perfect storm' as I did with a previous article, where I filled my disk so Moz couldn't cache it (Why can't *it* use memory? Well, actually, Epiphany goes nuts in exciting and different ways than regular Moz when it can't write the cache map, and viewing the emoticon popup blew the form out of the memory cache, it seems)... Not all of us feel like cookie-ing or are in appropriate situations to (though I am so I oughta suck it up), but seems like the 'appropriate behavior' would be a fixed buffer on the server-side that would accept a submission no matter what, starting the expiry timer ticking when it receives it (along with Javascript magic on the form to warn you if you're approaching the size of it or something), giving you a chance to authenticate your right to commit it without explicitly 'throwing it out' the moment you whack submit.

Any thoughs on this?

JasonMR
Re: Session Timeout While Writing Posts
  • 2005/3/5 3:47

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Try changing the session time in Sys Admin -> Pref -> General Prefs, there is a setting (by default set to 15) labelled Session expiration, maybe setting it to something more userfriendly (30) will help. (but do take note: 15 mins have been chosen deliberatly, due to the usage of public computers, as people like to NOT sign-off, so anyone using the computer after them, will have access to their account, if they want....May point this out to your users!)

BTW: my trick with timeouts on XOOPS.org, after I write a rather lengthy piece, I mark all up, and ctrl+c. So, if the info is lost, I just re-login and paste....

HTH....

dasdan
Re: Session Timeout While Writing Posts
  • 2005/3/5 5:32

• dasdan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/22

Quote:
Not all of us feel like cookie-ing or are in appropriate situations to

this problem sound familiar to me,
my cheapest solution is to press ctrl+c before sumitting a post/comment

but ...

I think you should choose,

or you use realy long sessions, (this causes problems with online-users, and stats modules, they will not show you an up-to-date state)

or you use cookies (they are invented for that purpose)

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits