gecko
Mac User & wysiwyg editor in Tiny content.
  • 2005/2/27 21:41

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/11

Hi Guys i just put a site together for a guy. It all works fine.

Then i go to his place to edit some content and show him how to work it. Damn he uses a mac os 10.3.8.

I tried the following browsers safari, IE, and firefox for mac, but still still the wysiwyg editor does not work.

Does anyone know how to deal with this?

One thought i did have was maybe firefox did not have java plugin loaded, usually firefox will tell you it needs something.

Any ideas anyone has would be welcome, cause you cant get a mac user to change OS

Thanx Gecko

Peekay
Re: Mac User & wysiwyg editor in Tiny content.
  • 2005/2/27 22:18

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

AFAIK, only the HTMLArea wysiwyg editor works on a Mac and that's only in OSX and only in Firefox. If you're thinking, "that's bad seeing the Mac is supposed to be so cool"... you would be absolutely right!

If you don't have a choice of editor in Tiny Content (sorry, but I don't use it) then you have a problem. However, your Mac fan has a problem anyway, because they will not be able to use a wysiwyg editor on *any* CMS, unless it uses HTMLArea and they edit it in Firefox.

If you design sites for a living I recommend getting a Mac to test things in Mac browsers, even if you only use it for that one task. Any old Mac that will run OSX will do. Conversely, your Mac-user clients will have to accept that they may need to get a cheap PC to edit their CMS website, even if they only use it for that one task. The rest of the time they can keep it in a cupboard!

rider
  • 2005/2/27 22:24

• rider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/18

Hi, I think the problem is more to do with the editor than with Java as FireFox picks up the Java engine from the OS.

I've noticed that the graphical editors such as TinyMCE, HTMLArea, and SPAW will not work in Safari due to it being based on the Konqueror engine.

However they should all work in FireFox on the Mac. It maybe that the setup in Tiny Editor isn't quite right for FireFox to work properly.

gecko
  • 2005/2/28 0:50

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks guys for your comments.

Now tell me what the difference between OS 10.3.8 and OSX? is it just another version of mac?

Gecko

gecko
  • 2005/2/28 0:54

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

Also any other recomendations for content module with html editor for XOOPS for a mac user?

gecko

Peekay
  • 2005/2/28 2:06

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

OSX is the generic term for any version of OS 10.

The only wysiwg I know of that works in Mac Firefox is HTMLArea. I haven't tried it but you can apparently add HTMLArea to XOOPS modules using a hack mentioned in this post. This might work with Tiny Content?

Spaw have announced a beta version of their editor (1.1b) that is supposed to work in any Gecko based browser, e.g. Mac Firefox. I have seen a stand-alone Spaw module at www.wf-projects.com that you can use in most XOOPS modules by tweaking some code, but I don't know if it is the Gecko compatible version.

gecko
  • 2005/3/9 20:44

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

OK incase this helps others searching on topic.

Html area mentioned in post above will work on win me/2000 IE and Firefox. Also on Mac OSX works in Firefox.

Does not work in MacOSX Safari conflict in java blah blah blah.

HTML Area does not integrate with the XOOPS image manager as far as i can see. If it did, this would be an awesome peice of work.

Can anyone help with this?

Gecko

Peekay
  • 2005/3/9 21:32

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

I am pinning my hopes on the Koivi editor working in Mac Firefox. Koivi sems to be very good, handles tables, allows addition of alt text attribute and best of all, the XOOPS image manager is integrated. I haven't tried using it yet so can't say from experience if it is Mac savvy, but I asked the developer if it would work in Mac Firefox in this thread A search for Koivi should turn up more details.

rider
  • 2005/3/9 23:18

• rider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/18

The latest version of SPAW definately works in Firefox and it definately works on the Mac with Firefox. I'm running it on my test machine which is running MacOS X.3.8 (Panther).

I can't get Koivi working, has anyone got a really great tip for doing so? It's listed in NewBB but it doesn't seem to work.

gecko
  • 2005/3/10 0:20

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

HI Rider
Does spaw integrate with XOOPS image manager??

Login

Who's Online

299 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 299

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits