script_fu
Taxonomies - Smart Websites - Asp - Cfm - Xoops?

Information is power, we must have it but how to cope with the volumes?

A person once said to me that my websites would need to become smart in order to have the websites I want. He said that "Taxonomies" are my soultion. That the information would need to talk to each other. He said it didn't matter what field I wanted to build websites for (automotive, entertainment, sports, ect.) untill I could use the data in a productive way that the sites where just that simple websites... Err meaning xoops.

How does one graduate to better smart websites?
Will XOOPS ever be capable of Taxonomies?

I could post some of the links for these Smart Sites.
Im sure you know of some yourself. Trying to figure out
how these sites are built is what I need to learn.

carnuke
Re: Taxonomies - Smart Websites - Asp - Cfm - Xoops?
  • 2005/2/9 12:59

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

interesting thread here ... I had a wordbook definition request for Taxonomies today.

Mmmm, strange, but here's the definition I had ready to post

"Taxonomy is the science of classification according to a pre-determined system, with the resulting catalog used to provide a conceptual framework for discussion, analysis, or information retrieval. In practice, a good taxonomy should be simple, easy to remember, and easy to use.

One of the best known taxonomies is the one devised by the Swedish scientist, Carl Linnaeus, whose classification for biology is still widely used (with modifications). In Web portal <http://searchSMB.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid44_gci212810,00.html> design, taxonomies are often created to describe categories and subcategories of topics found on the Web site. The categorization of words on whatis.com is similar to any Web portal taxonomy. "

[edit]
LOL, script_fu that was you on my site then ... just checked IPs. Don't look for the definition there, its purly alternative medical stuff

There's actually a lot of discussion on this concept with varying opinions.

script_fu

Richard your right it was me that searched the term taxonomies on your site. I've never seen the wordbook module installed on a site before. So I gave it a spin to check it out. I all ready knew it wasn't gonna be there... Lol

Back to the subject...
Thank you for the definition on taxonomies. It seems that alot of the .asp sites are built with some sort of taxonomie
system / module. Can anyone elaborate on hows this works or what is used to make these sites so data useful?

carnuke
  • 2005/2/9 14:13

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

LOL, absolutely no idea... I simply looked up the word online.

I think tzvook would be interested in this thread, but he hasn't seen it yet maybe?

Unless someone else chips in here, it's down to the old research routine, I'm afraid.

Richard

jegelstaff

XML

What you're talking about, common data schemas underlying different sites on the same topic, is the holy grail that XML was supposed to reach. It always seemed over blown to me.

Sometimes people talk about this as "the semantic web" but it's all the same thing: use common XML schemas to allow websites to share common data.

The problem is: who defines the schema? It's a political question really. Google's director of search quality recently had this to say about it:

http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=P7480_0_3_0_C

An excerpt (the article is longer and worth reading IMHO):

Quote:

Now imagine what it would be like if instead of using our algorithms we relied on the news suppliers to put in all the right metadata and label their stories the way they wanted to. "Is my story a story that's going to be buried on page 20, or is it a top story? I'll put my metadata in. Are the people I'm talking about terrorists or freedom fighters? What's the definition of patriot? What's the definition of marriage?"

Just defining these kinds of ontologies when you're talking about these kinds of political questions rather than about part numbers; this becomes a political statement. People get killed over less than this. These are places where ontologies are not going to work. There's going to be arguments over them. And you've got to fall back on some other kinds of approaches.

The best place where ontologies will work is when you have an oligarchy of consumers who can force the providers to play the game. Something like the auto parts industry, where the auto manufacturers can get together and say, "Everybody who wants to sell to us do this." They can do that because there's only a couple of them. In other industries, if there's one major player, then they don't want to play the game because they don't want everybody else to catch up. And if there's too many minor players, then it's hard for them to get together.

Semantic technologies are good for essentially breaking up information into chunks. But essentially you get down to the part that's in between the angle brackets. And one of our founders, Sergey Brin, was quoted as saying, "Putting angle brackets around things is not a technology by itself." The problem is what goes into the angle brackets. You can say, "Well, my database has a person name field, and your database has a first name field and a last name field, and we'll have a concatenation between them to match them up." But it doesn't always work that smoothly.

When he says ontologies, he's talking about what you're calling taxonomies above.

--Julian

script_fu

This is an old thread I know.

I was wondering if XOOPS has any
plans for this down the road?

davidl2
  • 2007/8/1 12:40

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

jegelstaff is now a Core Developer - and I believe this was discussed in a recent face-to-face meeting with DJ, Marcan and Jegelstaff - which is noted on the Sourceforge Wiki.

jegelstaff

I should add that the "taxonomy" stuff that was discussed recently in relation to XOOPS was not really so lofty as the entire "semantic web" which is what my previous post here was about.

I think what most people in XOOPS-land are interested in right now, regarding taxonomies, is some kind of common taxonomy system for content, like what Drupal has. This has been discussed in XOOPS before. Whatever the challenges in implementation, it seems pretty clear that any modern "CMS" should have some kind of common categorization system.

The real question, I think, is what is the benefit of having a common categorization system in XOOPS? In Drupal, it gives you cross-referencing of content, which is built into the Drupal core. In XOOPS, there's no core features like that, period. So just building the categorization system isn't enough. You can't just have a way of tagging everything as one kind of content or another kind of content. You need those tags to then cause something else to happen, such as having pages in the core that list content across modules, according to the categorizations.

Meanwhile, there are other things XOOPS does pretty well, like multi-language, and templating, that are probably higher on the list. I think it's important to be careful to push XOOPS strengths and not spend too much time trying to play catch-up. We'll never out-Drupal Drupal, so let's not try to have the world's best taxonomy system. If taxonomy is *the* feature someone needs, they won't use XOOPS, period. So let's focus on what makes XOOPS really good, and make that better. Taxonomy will be important to have in XOOPS at some point, but let's keep everything in perspective.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits