Peekay
The requirements for Xoops and PHP 5?
  • 2005/1/22 13:11

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I read a post recently that drew attention to a significant difference between PHP 4 and 5. The issue was a 'register_long_arrays' setting that is 'off' by default in PHP 5, and that needs to be 'on' for XOOPS to work.

My host will probably upgrade sometime this year, so I wondered, are we going to get a version of XOOPS that runs without register_long_arrays 'on', or will it continue to be a system requirement for it to work under PHP 5?

The reason I'm asking is that if it's likely to remain a system requirement, I'm going to email my host now and ask what they plan to do about this setting when they upgrade.

Dave_L
Re: The requirements for Xoops and PHP 5?
  • 2005/1/22 13:53

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

In PHP5, register_long_arrays must be on in order for the old-style global arrays $HTTP_GET_VARS, $HTTP_POST_VARS, etc. to be recognized.

I don't think the current XOOPS core uses these ($HTTP_*_VARS), but I'm not sure. Even if the current XOOPS core does use these variables, I would expect that dependency to be removed in the near future.

But there are definitely third-party modules that still use the $HTTP_*_VARS arrays.

According to the PHP manual, register_long_arrays can be turned on (or off) in an .htaccess file, so that provides a workaround, provided that your server runs Apache and that Apache is configured to allow you to override PHP configuration values in an .htaccess file.

Peekay
Re: The requirements for Xoops and PHP 5?
  • 2005/1/22 15:36

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Many thx for clarifying that Dave_L. I'll hunt down the htaccess code to modify the setting just in case I have to.

I'm going to email our host anyway and ask them what their plans are. It would be nice to get a 'road map' from them so I knew when PHP and MySQL were going to be upgraded, but invariably they just go ahead and do it.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits