timman
Registration hack and module required....
  • 2005/1/16 0:59

• timman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/16

Hi,

I need a hack of the registration. Some of the standard fields are not required, I only need name, adress, city, country, phone, date of birth and a code.

The module I need has to generate short registration codes in groups of 10, 50, 100, 250 and 100 codes, each group of codes with a description. So I can backtrace the origin of the codes. I will need to print the codes for distribution (folders...).

Each new user that has a valid code will get his own subdirectory created in wich some php files should be exploded. Users without a valid code will need approval by admin before they get their subdir...

I hope that someone can help with this, quotes are welcome.

Thanks for reading this,

Tim

timman
Re: Registration hack and module required....
  • 2005/1/17 14:51

• timman

• Just popping in

Did I forget to mention that I want to pay for the work?

I really need to find a solution, or another cms. The fact is, I choose XOOPS because of the community... and now nobody seems to be interested in the "job".

luciano
  • 2005/1/20 16:40

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

Bro, I think xoopsers don't need cash... Love and code or code with love

Mithrandir

Maybe you should put a little more than a handful of lines to the task description.

Ok, registration codes? There is a module for that. Might take a little customization, but that should be it.
However, custom directories? Sure, no problem, but what for? What should the users be able to do with the directories?

In general, I think that XOOPSers indeed do need cash - but this job looks like one that can explode in your face. In the way that it can look quite simple, but will grow bigger and bigger as more details are worked out - and either you end up paying much more than an initial quote said, or you will only get half the functionality you wanted or you will have a very disgruntled developer, who works his behind off for you for pennies.

I think that would be the main reason why noone has jumped for the opportunity.

timman
  • 2005/1/21 10:57

• timman

• Just popping in

Right... thanks for the advice.

Well the idea is to give away websites (hosted flat file cms), but as this takes much to long I have been looking for partners to do that. These partners receive codes that they can give to their clients. When the client registers with a valid code a subdir is created (same as his username) in wich the cms is exploded. The client then receives an email with the message that his account is ready and some info.

People trying to register without a code have to be approved by admin.

The required fields are:

username (name of subdir)
real name
street, nr
postal code
city
country
phone
email
date of birth

In brief, the module should be some kind of a partner module that can create groups of 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 codes/ partner. Any suggestions are welcome, but I need to know from wich partner a member has his code and how many codes are in use/partner.

For more info... please PM

timman
  • 2005/2/1 7:46

• timman

• Just popping in

Well, that's it for xoops. As nobody seems to be able to help us out we'll have to migrate. My brother keeps on believing in this cms but I don't, XOOPS is a great playground, but when it gets serious...

So, what I learned might be usefull for others: plan first, join the communities of all major cms's and then make up your mind.

Wheeler
  • 2005/2/1 8:19

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

Quote:

timman wrote:
Well, that's it for xoops. As nobody seems to be able to help us out we'll have to migrate. My brother keeps on believing in this cms but I don't, XOOPS is a great playground, but when it gets serious...

So, what I learned might be usefull for others: plan first, join the communities of all major cms's and then make up your mind.

Hey do not give up this quick. Your request is half complete. There is a registaration keys module that will do the job of handling your partners clients. Now all you need is the directory creation on the fly.

You are correct to say plan first and do your research, but I'm curious. In your opinion, what CMS is better than xoops? Have you found a CMS that can do this job? Or how about another CMS module? How much are you willing to pay?

Peace!

timman
  • 2005/2/2 8:14

• timman

• Just popping in

Hi Wheeler,

Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?

A better cms? No. Tried Mambo for a while but I don't like it. So, now I'm stuck.

Willing to pay? Depends on what I get.

Peace too

Wheeler
  • 2005/2/2 15:38

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

This is the link to Registration Keys
https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=88&lid=1373

I am curious, how do you plan to create a directory and what script do you intend to wrap in it? What other features do you require?

Wheeler
  • 2005/2/2 16:43

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

I re-read the thread, you intend to put a small cms within the directory. That is pretty cool. What cms? Database to flat text file?

The forms work could easily be done. I do not, yet, know a way for a directory/subdomain to create on the fly.

Perhaps you could clone directories with the script pre-installed and name them 1, 2, 3, 4, which refer to the user id. With user-cms content included at the user's main profile and the user-cms admin section included at the user's edit profile.

You could attempt re-write URL's to display the username. example:
.../modules/users/user.php?cms=2
to
.../modules/users/cms_2/
or better
.../modules/users/'username'/
(username = userid 2)

If it is a module, as displayed in the url above, an 'actual' directory on the server is not needed. It would also offer search capabilities, a user-cms directory, featured blocks, and host admin. I seen a module perform automation similar to what you desire. It is the XooperMod XOOPS Module Generator
http://www.worldware.com/modules/xoopermod/
This takes your form input, creates files and directories, zips it up, submits to another module for file download, and then the download auto-expires. WOW!

I thought of doing this before for scripts where #'s represent people. There is a module on my website which is, in fact, a mini user-cms called Members Homepages. This is in it's most simplest form and is very confusing to use. This module is the possible beginning of a new generation of modules because it presents itself as a mini-xoops for the users, it is clean coded, and it's functions are unique to other modules. I have collected much feedback, bufixes, and worked on much of the navigation to make it more user friendly.

If anybody reading this feels these ideas are impossible or would be very hard to implement, then please speak up.

Thanks Everybody!

ps. The Members Homepages module could be scrapped in this plan, for I have other similar module ideas that would work as a personal page, although, completely different from Members Homepages.

Login

Who's Online

241 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 241

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits