twitaman
Theme not displaying correctly in IE 5 and Netscape 7 on Mac
  • 2005/1/3 22:37

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I have a theme that is basically just a clone of the default XOOPS theme, except that I added a javascript horizontal nav menu at the top of the page.

I use Firefox 1.0 and IE 6 and Opera 7.5 on XP and my site looks fine to me. But I am told that it doesn't display correctly in IE 5 and on Netscape for the Mac. It seems the main problem is that the font is too big and the java menu doesn't display correctly.

Can anyone who uses IE5 or the Mac confirm that for me? And if so do you know why my site might not display correctly in those browsers?

My test site is here:http://www.uneducatedguess.com

brash
Re: Theme not displaying correctly in IE 5 and Netscape 7 on Mac
  • 2005/1/3 22:46

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

This will be CSS. Easiest thing to do would be to edit your styleMAC.css file so that it displays your theme correctly for Mac users. You will need to find a Mac user to help you with this though.

Peekay
  • 2005/1/4 0:27

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

On Mac IE 5.1.7 (Mac OS 9.2) the site looks o.k. at 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. The font sizes seem fine. The menu works, but there appears to be a 'bullet' in the menu list that isn't displaying properly? (you see a small 'missing image' icon).

In Netscape 6.2 (OS 9.2) the menu also works and the bullet error is not visible (but there's no bullet).

In both cases, viewed at 800 x 600 res, the menu centres itself but partially obscures the strapline 'Our Goal is..."

Can't check the site in OSX at present but I'll try and take a look later. In OSX, I would imagine the majority of Netscape users now generally use Firefox. IE is still used, but is no longer developed for the Mac. The Mac's own browser Safari however does need to be considered.

It is a pain to get drop-down menus to work cross-platform and cross browser. Minor changes to the CSS can make or break them, but you need a Mac to run proper tests.

A late Christmas present perhaps

twitaman
  • 2005/1/4 2:12

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks Peekay. It's difficult to get this thing to work in all browsers. It seems like I created a real headache by adding the java menu but I just needed a more efficient way of handling all the links on my site. I have no idea what the "bullet" or missing pic thing is in the menu nor do I know why the "Our goal is.." won't display correctly. Arggh!!!

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
On Mac IE 5.1.7 (Mac OS 9.2) the site looks o.k. at 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. The font sizes seem fine. The menu works, but there appears to be a 'bullet' in the menu list that isn't displaying properly? (you see a small 'missing image' icon).

In Netscape 6.2 (OS 9.2) the menu also works and the bullet error is not visible (but there's no bullet).

In both cases, viewed at 800 x 600 res, the menu centres itself but partially obscures the strapline 'Our Goal is..."

Can't check the site in OSX at present but I'll try and take a look later. In OSX, I would imagine the majority of Netscape users now generally use Firefox. IE is still used, but is no longer developed for the Mac. The Mac's own browser Safari however does need to be considered.

It is a pain to get drop-down menus to work cross-platform and cross browser. Minor changes to the CSS can make or break them, but you need a Mac to run proper tests.

A late Christmas present perhaps

twitaman
  • 2005/1/4 2:13

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

Oh and now one of my testers tells me that the font looks "big" and clunky in AOL through Windows. Shit! I didn't even know people still USED AO-HELL to surf the web!?!?!

astonstreet

In the default theme CSS there is a few places where font size is set as a percentage value, ie5 displays these as too big.. u may need to go find these and change them to another value.

Hope this helps

twitaman
  • 2005/1/4 6:21

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

That helps a lot! I will see if I can figure out what's going on with the CSS.

Quote:

astonstreet wrote:
In the default theme CSS there is a few places where font size is set as a percentage value, ie5 displays these as too big.. u may need to go find these and change them to another value.

Hope this helps

twitaman
  • 2005/1/4 7:16

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

I see a few places like in item title and item poster where the font size is set as a percentage. But I'm not sure what percentages to set them too since I don't have IE 5. Right now there's a 90% setting for a lot of them and 130% for item title.

Can I still download IE 5 and run it on my computer if it has IE 6 so I can test it?

Quote:

astonstreet wrote:

Hope this helps

astonstreet

I think its more the block titles and th classes etc that you need to worry about... I find that the 130% values display huge in ie5 when i test on my system. The 90% values on item info class etc seem to display ok... also, the problem doesnt appear in every theme and I havent looked into it much so I guess it depends on different variables in the CSS wether it happens or not.

I have ie5, ie5.5 and ie6 installed on my computer...

Im pretty sure this is the link to download standalone versions.. (invaluable tools for a web designer)

download ie 5 and 5.5

Download the ie5, have a look over your site and u will probably find its only the block titles and th classes you need to change..

good luck and let me know if that link doesnt work

astonstreet

sorry, and I forgot to add.... when I said you may need to change the value... I meant change to a pixel or em or whatever value.... at least thats what I do to get them looking right in ie5

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits