BahamutZaero
Theme works fine in all browsers, except IE!

I've been producing the web site for the upcoming 21-6 Productions game, TubeTwist, and the company decided to use Xoops. So far everything has been working pretty good, until I went to test the web site. I personally use FireFox, so I never knew there was a problem until I started to do the testing, and opened it in IE.

Well, anyone with IE can see the problem here:

http://www.tubetwist.com

Check it out with IE, then with any other browser. The problem with the IE one is that it is adding a space between every table row, and it is adding a border. (It seems in general it's just adding invisible borders all around). This problem ONLY occurs in IE, and while I would just love to put a 'Get FireFox!' link on the site, I don't think the company would approve ;)

So... anyone got any ideas on why XOops would display a template so differently in IE than in every other browser?

Thanks in advance,
-Dave

Bassman
Re: Theme works fine in all browsers, except IE!
  • 2004/12/21 20:37

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Hi Dave,
I see what you mean. Did you start this theme from scratch, or change an existing theme? Does your theme have separate style sheets for IE and NN/Mozilla etc? It loooks like a padding issue somewhere.

JMorris
  • 2004/12/21 20:42

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

You omitted your cellpadding tag. If you don't specify this, IE will assume a cellpadding of 1. Other browsers assume a cellpadding of 0.

cellpadding="0"

Bassman
  • 2004/12/21 20:46

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

well spotted!

BahamutZaero

(Pardon my ignorance... this is my first time using XOOPS )

The theme is a modification of one of the default themes. I looked around the code and I can't find anywhere that I wasn't using the 'cellpadding' tag... is there somewhere specific that I should be using it and I'm not?

Thanks for all the help,
-Dave

Bassman
  • 2004/12/21 20:57

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

it's a bit hard to see, since your site appears to be in frames, so you can't view the source.

JMorris
  • 2004/12/21 21:19

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

There are actually several instances of where your cellspacing is defined, but not cellpadding. I would recommend going through and carefully looking for any table tags that do not have cellpadding defined (look in theme.html).

Quote:

table align="right" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"

Also, there are several html attributes being used that are not supported in Netscape 6.0 and 7.0. This could make the site look real sloppy to Netscape users. You may want to consider uploading the file to the W3C validator and using its results to recode the theme. Just ignore the errors related to Smarty variables and fix the HTML errors. It's usually best to do as much formatting in CSS as possible and just use HTML where necessary.

I found these by clicking File > Save Page As.. in Firefox, then looked inside the http://www.tubetwist.com_files folder for a.html file and opened it in Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
well spotted!

Thanks!

BahamutZaero

Wow, thanks for all your help!

I've gone through and added cellpadding="0" at all places that look like it's missing it... I haven't seen any changes at all yet IE side when uploading the files, but I'll keep hunting and see where else I'm missing... (anyone else see any changes yet?)

As for doing everything in CSS, I agree. XOops is kinda new to me (had a LOT of problems trying to get these themes to work at first!) and I'm beginning to think I should have made a theme from scratch rather than just editing an existing one.

One final question... this W3C validator you speak of... what is that, and where can I find it?

-Dave

JMorris
  • 2004/12/21 21:50

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

X/HTML Validator
http://validator.w3.org/

CSS Validator
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

It's a webmaster's best friend.

Actually, one of the best ways to learn to theme is to edit the default theme. You'll get it.

Happy Xoops'ing!

Login

Who's Online

407 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 407

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits