jpco_122122
Putting XOOPS Database to other Server!

I've been using XOOPS as Intranet,can I install or put the XOOPS database into other computers so my server won't get that big? How can I do this? What are the things that I must change?

JMorris
Re: Putting XOOPS Database to other Server!
  • 2004/12/15 1:40

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Databases for XOOPS don't really grow that large on most normal sites. I've run 10 sites on one DB and never got over 50MB in DB storage usage.

I don't recommend using seperate machines for your web and database servers. This is how my host is setup and there is a bit of a performance hit for database driven sites like Xoops. It's not terribly bad, but their running beastly servers too. If you're going to be using more modest equipment, it may have a more noticable impact on your site's performance.

Just a suggestion.

jpco_122122

Yes, you're right. But I want to separate the database on other machines this is for security purposes. How can I do this?

JMorris
  • 2004/12/15 3:00

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Well, I'm no MySQL guru, so I don't feel confident on giving advice on installing MySQL as there are security issues that you need to consider. I strongly recommend that refer to the documentation on MySQL's site to be sure that you're addressing any potential vulnerabilities.

What I can tell you is this....

>>Your MySQL server will need a static IP address (and optionally a domain name [dbserver.yourdomain.com])

>>You'll need to make sure that port 3306 is open on that server for connections to MySQL (or whatever port you specify during setup)

>>You definately DONT want to use the root account with no password. Set the root account up to only be accessible from the db server itself and give it a long password. Setup a second account for remote connections, grant it only the needed permissions, and give it a long password as well [10-15 characters will due].

>>Setting up XOOPS to use a remote server is essentially the same as using a local server, the only difference is that you'll set the server IP or domain name, opposed to local host, in mainfile.php or during setup.

Mainfile Example:
// Database Hostname
    // Hostname of the database server. If you are unsure, 'localhost' works in most cases.

define('XOOPS_DB_HOST''dbserver.yourdomain.com');

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

jpco_122122

No problem! thanks for the help I'd make it from trial and error method.

I have one last question, How cahn I setup XOOPS in IIS Server? What are the things that I must change?

JMorris
  • 2004/12/15 4:11

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Sorry, can't help at all there. You couldn't pay me to use IIS. Too many security holes. Also, being so tightly integrated with the OS, it's not just your website that's at risk.

You might want to look at Apache. Much more secure and a much better performer. If you go that route, I'd still recommend reading the docs on the Apache site to be sure you address any security issues.

Sorry to keep giving half answers, but running a public Web/MySQL server demands that you know what your doing. Otherwise, a skilled hacker might come along and turn your box into a worm breading ground. All this is one reason why I find it best just to pay for hosting and only use my local web server for testing on a private network.

If you're on a tight budget, it's do-able, but I wouldn't recommend you do it until you read the documentation on the appropriate sites.

Just a suggestion.

Login

Who's Online

272 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 272

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits