Dustygrey
smtp error: Could not authenticate
  • 2004/12/5 22:10

• Dustygrey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/4

After the installation and configuration of XOOPS om my SUSE9.1 system I still can not send emails via SMTP AUTH.
I have tested two free provider (arcor.de and gmx.de) and I always get the same message: smtp error: Could not authenticate Could not send mail to user
Wih Kmail instead,I can send mails via both providers, which demonstrates, that there is no problem with my ISP or my firewall. If I use the pop3 before smtp option of gmx.de, I can also use the account with XOOPS (after I have used Kmail to initiate the authentification with the pop3 server), but after a while a new pop3 "request" is required to keep it alive. This is where the nightmare starts: A new user can not register, because my system does not send the activation email.
What could be the problem with the SMTP AUTH ? Is there another configuration option deep inside Xoops?

Cheers,
Dustygrey

brash
Re: smtp error: Could not authenticate
  • 2004/12/5 22:16

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Firstly, I am not sendmail guru, there entire text books devoted to the art, so it quite a powerful and complex SMTP server. However, to my mind if you can send via one SMTP server, but not the other, then the problem is not going to be Xoops, but rather your hosts sendmail config. I used to use SMTPauth mode as well, and although I had to make a few changes I never really had any great issues with it. First point of call though is you'll need to get access to the sendmail logs to try and track down the exact reason why you are been authenticated.

Dustygrey
  • 2004/12/5 22:29

• Dustygrey

• Just popping in

Thanks for the quick answer,
I can send only via gmx.de and not via arcor.de because only gmx.de offers pop3 before smtp in addition to smtp auth. With smtp auth, none of them works!
So, XOOPS can send via smtp, if the pop3 before smtp was activated via Kmail. If I check my gmx.de mail now with Kmail, I can also send emails to my users via XOOPS (at least for the next few minutes), but later it does not work anymore.

Cheers,
Dustygrey

brash
  • 2004/12/5 22:34

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I really think this is going to be a sendmail config thing. Did I read somewhere that you got smtpauth with phpbb working? Are you able to contact your hosting provider for details?

Dustygrey
  • 2004/12/5 22:40

• Dustygrey

• Just popping in

Thanks again,
I will try.

Cheers,
Dustygrey

Login

Who's Online

363 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 363

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits