noni1
templete_c & adminmenu.php files are not creating
  • 2004/11/23 7:40

• noni1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/8 5

I installed version 2.0.7.3 as instructed, assigned read/write access to cache, tempalates_c, uploads and mainfile(1st time) but the index file doesn't show. I checked the templete_c folder and found the required block files where not being created. Copied templete_c files from another XOOPS site I had done, then the site shows,but again in the admin page there are problems. If I try to install any module, the adminmenu disappears. Even the templete_c files for the modules are not creating. I checked the database and the tables are creating properly. I have used XOOPS earlier and didn't come across such problem.

Someone please help me locate the problem. The debugging is on and no errors are reported. Following is my server config :

Apache version : Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/4.3.8 mod_ssl/2.8.18 OpenSSL/0.9.7d

PHP Version- 4.3.8

Is this a server problem? Need help urgently.

Thanks

jdseymour
Re: templete_c & adminmenu.php files are not creating

Ok, I know that you said that you allowed read write fo cache and template_c, but make sure they are chmod 777. When I look at the properties of a file read - write all are chmod 666, and read - write - execute all is chmod 777. so just double check.

noni1
  • 2004/11/24 1:20

• noni1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/8 5

Hi there,

I checked the files permissions. It shows 'rwxrwxrwx' as the rights for cache, template_c and uploads directories. Yet the site doesn't update/copy the files. Just to test I also installed XOOPS on a windows 2000 + IIS server where the site is working very well. So I guess there is some problem at the server end on my Linux+Apache server. I don't know if any setting where changed in the server lately. What settings should I look for in either the php or Apache server, to have caused this problem? I don't handle the server, so please tell me what to do from the client machine.

Please help.

Thanks

jdseymour

I would ask your hosting company, explain what XOOPS needs and see if they have any defaults that prevent it.

cucoket
  • 2004/11/24 3:33

• cucoket

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/7 5

That is the host problem rather than your problem. I have encounted this situation before.

Unlike CGI, PHP run as a common user, i.e. Apache. If your host did not allow "apache" to write to your home or if they set the quota for "apache" on the location that contain your home and the quota has exceeded, then you will notify that XOOPS cannot write to your home even if the permission is set to 777. And the adminmenu.php has to be rewritten anytime you install new module, or do some system admin job, the templates_c has to be generated as the first time user access a page or when you modify the templates. You probally could not do any uploading as well.

There are two solutions. The first is fighting with your host if you can. What they can do is increase apache quota on your home (but this is not a good sollution, because the other site running on the same host can use this quota), or they has to patch their apache (this is what my host did) with some patches that allow your site run as <B>your user name</B> rather than "apache", so XOOPS can write as much as your available quota.

The second choice is applied only if you cannot negotiate with your host. Normally, linux provide temporary location on /tmp or /var/tmp, and there is no restriction on those location. You have to modify some where in your XOOPS in order to change templates_c/ cache/ and uploads/ to those location (hope you can do it).

Good luck,

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits