jurgis
xoops-bots - for linking module features to any content
  • 2004/11/4 18:43

• jurgis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/20

http://mambots.com/
mambo has it in its core as sth very interesting, but it is used simply:
You can include some tags into your text: for example {mosimage}, {mos_sb_discuss:26} or so,
and mambots are small pieces of code, which use regexp to replace those tags with appropriate things..

If now we use xoops-code interpreter, so it also could be xoops-bot. (I mean thees things sould be handled quite similary).

Could some core guys explain, is it difficult to add similar functionality?

We know from html history, that tagging has a great power to connect things, so why not bring it to xoops?

Mithrandir
Re:xoops-bots - for linking module features to any content

small pieces of code
appropriate things

Could you elaborate a bit on what it actually does?

intel352
  • 2004/11/4 20:17

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

mith, it's a great feature in mambo. it's kinda like having bbcode, except each script (containing a new bot) defines it's 'code'

so, say i put in bot functionality into xdonations. maybe i create a bot function that, when a certain code (such as {xbot_donators}) is called, it's automatically replaced *wherever* it is called, by a list of donators.

it's kinda like hooks, except better, because it can be used from the content side of a module. forum, news, private messages, articles, blocks, etc, could all benefit. you can create a new block in xoops, and place a bot tag in the new block, which will autogenerate output, based on what function the code refers to (such as {xbot_donators}, which would call a xdonations script to generate donators output)

rowdie
  • 2004/11/4 20:45

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Isn't this just like using a smarty value? Just assign the smarty value the result of your code...

I don't see the difference...? With smarty you'd have to loop through the values in the template though, is that what you mean?

intel352
  • 2004/11/4 22:42

• intel352

• Module Developer

nope, it's similar, except these 'bots' are global, they can be used anywhere in the site.

i.e.- using xdonations as an example again, the bot script that i would provide with the module, would be referenced by XOOPS core, so that *anywhere* that the special tag is used, the content will show up.

and the idea is that templates won't have to be modified for this. you just create a news article or forum post or a block or whatever, insert that tag, and the function is called, the content is output.

if you want to have a better understanding of it, then install mambo, a module (aka component in mambo's world), and find a mambot that utilizes data from the component. it's very nifty, because you're able to place the mambot tag anywhere, anytime, not relying on templates or whatnot...

Mithrandir

Assuming you know the available tags :)

I am not against the idea in general, but I have the following reservations:

1) Regex = more processing - but not a biggie
2) Imagine a forum post - a user types in 50 xoopsBot tags... each using one or more SQL queries to execute = loads of queries = increased load on server.
This should deffo have an on/off toggle in module preferences, so only trusted content-writers can use them.

intel352
  • 2004/11/4 23:13

• intel352

• Module Developer

well of course weights and balances would need to be in place. in mambo, some of the bots were accompanied by the warning that it would only work once in a page (probably due to how the specific bot was implemented, but anywho...), so bots that are known to cause higher usage could be limited by author or admin maybe (in xoops)

btw, one *very* useful bot that i loved under mambo, was the ability to create a news post, and include a mambot tag pointing to a forum id (in the site forum). well, the mambot would create a new thread in the forum, related directly to the news article, and create a link where the mambot tag was used in the news article. i believe the thread was only created the first time it was accessed by a user looking to post a comment, and then anyone else clicking the link would be able to post a reply.

i know we have comments in xoops, but that's just an example of a semi-complex usefulness, tie-ing forum + news in a CMS that didn't have comments.

personally, i think bot tags like that, if implemented in xoops, should be controlled similar to blocks (options per bot to be used by certain groups, on certain pages/modules, etc)

mixx86
  • 2005/6/22 23:09

• mixx86

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/22

Hello, and thanks for bringing up a subject close to my heart.
I have been using XOOPS for almost two years now, in fact it was the first CMS I tested and it kinda stuck
A few months back I needed to create a new site for a Roleplaying club, it needed to look really cool with lots of eyecandy. Xoops, whatever it is, is not one for that kind of work. I am aware of the hacks needed to switch themes between modules and all, but....not enough... I digress...

In the end I installed the Mambo CMS and fell in love with the mambots immediately. This is what XOOPS is missing.

I took a very plain text, loaded up a bunch of colorful images in the mosbot-list (btw. the imagehandling in Mambo is a dream in comparison), and proceeded with just inserting a [mosbot] here and there with the correct formatting. Took a couple of minutes to completely transform the text to a world-class flashy piece of gamingtext.

It was with much regret I closed down that site and transfered all the articles to XOOPS (due to administrative reasons of having several sites to one single organisation). I really miss the mosbots. It would be great to see a *full* implementation of this Mambo-feature in Xoops, ofcourse coupled with the usual Xoops-privs settings to make life easier for the poor old server.

Actually, a good imagemanager and a sitewide bot-feature would definitely make me part of the donor-list.

Thanks all for a great piece of SW!!

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits