eloieli
Yahoo like mail system
  • 2004/11/3 3:58

• eloieli

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/2

I don't know if this functionality is already available, I am new to Xoops. If it is could some one let me know where.

Basically I want a system that lets registered users mail new forum topics (actually new anything would idea) into the forum, and also sends new posts and comments out to every user.

This functionality occurs in Yahoo groups. Basically a user can sign up to recieve no emails, recieve special notices, recieve a daily digest of all the happenings in their groups, or recieve every individual message in ther mail as it is posted.

They can also mail in new forum topics or, by replying, add comments to existing topics.

It seems to me that this is simplfied in Yahoo as each group only has one main forum that just has lots of different threads, but I it also seems to me that it should be possible in something like XOOPS simply by using the Node ID as a way of adding comments to existing things. I don't know how you'd deal with new posts. In Yahoo you simply cchange the subject line and thus post a new topic.

Anyway, this functionality would be great to have in XOOPS if it doesn't already exist.

brash
Re:Yahoo like mail system
  • 2004/11/3 4:52

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

The notifications system can be setup to notify users of new content without too much hassle, but as for mailing things in I don't think there is a function for this on a global scale. Infact I think Wordpress is the only XOOPS module I know of that has a submit via e-mail option.

carnuke
Re:Yahoo like mail system
  • 2004/11/3 13:01

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Newbb2 comes close to the notifications aspect of your post requests, and I think... there are plans to make an email post to forum function. Its not here yet though.

I fully agree with all the aspects of your post Its seems impossible to me that such a popular and excellent system like yahoo has never been copied by open source developers!!

Cut out the commercila adverts and you would have the internet newsgroup fraternaty at your feet!

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits