damjam
2.0.7.3 upgrade - all navigation goes to login, no admin access
  • 2004/10/17 21:31

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Thanks in advance for any help you can give if you can endure my long story...

I've had a XOOPS 2.0.5.2 site running almost flawlessly since April 2004. I installed it to my shared server using Cpanel. I noticed yesterday that Cpanel has been upgraded and there's an advisory to upgrade my XOOPS installation. But it warns against the upgrade if I've installed any special modules or themes. So I opted for a manual upgrade.

Currently running:
Apache 1.3.31
PHP 2.0.7.3
MySQL 4.0.20
Same results on Firefox and IE6.

I downloaded all the upgrades between 2.0.5.2 and 2.0.7.3, turned off the site, then installed the upgrades one at a time in sequence. Then I logged in and looked around and found everything appeared normal including Cjay content, multi-menu, and my theme.

I had previously applied the hack described here and it worked fine. So when everything seemed to be working after the upgrades, I applied the same hack. Then I went back to the site and found that "view account" (user.php) took me to a blank page. (I don't remember if I checked that before applying the hack.) If I clicked my name alongside some of my forum posts (userinfo.php?uid=1), I was taken to my profile page and the changes appeared as I made them in the hack. I turned on debugging and received several warning (which I didn't write down.) It was late so I restored all teh hacked files to their original condition, left the site turned off and gave up for the night.

This morning I logged in, got the redirect page and after an unusually long delay of 30-40 seconds I got index.php with the session id displayed. I mention the session ID because I don't remember whether or not I've seen that before. From there I tried to navigate around and found that every menu item and all the links in blocks to forum posts and news items take me back to the login screen on the "closed for routine maintenance..." page but the URL displayed is the correct one for whatever link I clicked. I can't access admin so my site remains off and unuseable although it appears normal from the index page. I also can't turn on debugging so I found how to do it manually on the Wiki but no errors display on the site.

I did make a full backup through Cpanel so I could restore the site to its 2.0.5.2 status, although I've never done that and I've read many posts here about problems after restoring from backups. So I'm saving that as a last resort.

That's all the story I can think to tell. I'll be most grateful for any help with this.

damjam
Re: 2.0.7.3 upgrade - all navigation goes to login, no admin access
  • 2004/10/18 15:25

• damjam

• Just popping in

I re-read my plea for help and realize maybe I forgot to ask the right questions...

Why can I log in but can't I access any pages except the login screen?

Is there a way to get to admin without going through the user menu so I can turn my site back on? I triedhttp://sitename/admin.php but that just takes me back to login too.

I've thought of trying to upload all the upgrades again but I'm afraid the more things I blindly try, the worse I'll make it. I have too many hours invested and too many users waiting to risk causing irreparable damage.

Xoops is a fabulous program and the help here is always first rate... I hope someone can help me get back on track. I'll do everything I can to provide more information if needed.

Thanks!

damjam
Crisis resolved: Re: 2.0.7.3 upgrade - all navigation goes to login, no admin access
  • 2004/10/19 2:38

• damjam

• Just popping in

Crisis resolved. I reloaded each upgrade from 2.0.5.2 thru 2.0.7.3 being careful to make sure each file made it across to the server and stopping to check the site between each patch. It works fine now.

I'll probably never know what happened to screw it up in the first place but I have noticed that if I upload multiple layers of folders, Smart FTP sometimes doesn't drill down to the deepest folder and get everything. So I guess my lesson is to open each folder one at a time and upload only files.

Thanks for reading.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits