damjam
Mild rant on documentation and module descriptions
  • 2004/10/8 22:11

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Throughout the various docs and module repositories are similar examples of what twitaman described here. The documentation is improving and I'm grateful for that. This new site design is fabulous and a huge step forward. But...

I'm certain there are an awful lot of XOOPS site owners like me who lurk this website silently hoping to stumble on an answer that makes sense. I released a site this summer that has been growing steadily. I have countless hours invested in the theme, outside modules, and content. It's running on 2.0.5.2 and I want to upgrade to the latest release and upgrade some of the modules. But I've yet to find clearly written, step-by-step, plain language instructions on how to do that so that my comfort level goes up and the risk of losing valuable work goes down.

My other observation is about the module descriptions. I've pored over the repositories looking for modules to do some of the things I need. I suspect there may be some out there. But so many of them have obscure names and the descriptions are so poorly written or nonexistent. Module developers are golden. I wish I could do what they do.

But it would be a huge boost to the popularity of their modules and their own credibility if they'd realize that the descriptions they write are the first and maybe only impression module shoppers like me get. If I can't visualize from the name or the description what the module does, I'm likely to pass it by. Maybe I'll find some reviews in the comments or the forums that will help, but often not. They're not for sale but it's still marketing and communication. If you go to the trouble to create it, make your descriptions clear so the majority of users can get what you're trying to give them.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Login

Who's Online

311 user(s) are online (210 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 311

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits