Jayaay
A very simple game scoring module
  • 2004/9/24 9:11

• Jayaay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/24

Hi all,

I'm running a small xoops-website for a club of friends where we use to play a varity of board games (you know, standard non-virtual games, where you sit around a desk )

The members in this club are quite competitive and we all take great pleassure in the occasional wins and use to brawl about them on our website.

To this point we have kept a scoring system online using a simple html-file, in which I enter each players performance and overall score after each game, to be published in a xoops-block. I feel however, that this system is rather "raw" compared to the slick module/block handling in the rest of the webpage.
I would therefore request a very simple module for retreiving each members score from a MySQL database table (which I have allready created) and present it along with the name of the player in a block sorted by number of wins. (a bit like the scoring tables used in the Flashgames module by Oliver Kaufhold)

I know how to do MySQL but frankly I'm rotten to php, and although I've tried various workarounds I can't seem to get it right myself. Now I'm getting at the pulling-hair-out-of-my-head-state, and I hope, that someone can provide me with usefull information on how to do this, point me to a working module, that will do exactly what I'm looking for - or maybe even create the module and post it here (preferably before I loose all of my rather thin hair)

Of course the ultimate function in a module like this would be to allow a priviliged usergroup to enter the scores directly on the website and thereby update the database, but this, on the other hand, can be managed quite easily using other tools for MySQL.

In high hopes of great feedback and/or usefull hints and tips from you all

Jayaay

Mithrandir
Re: A very simple game scoring module

I have ported TPLLeaguestats to XOOPS and Ralf & Risto have gone further with it. It is meant for football etc. leagues, but I guess it should be possible to configure for other games.

Jayaay
  • 2004/9/24 10:49

• Jayaay

• Just popping in

Hi Mithrandir,

Thank you very much for your reply. This module sounds excactly like what I'm looking for. There seem, however, to be a problem with the link you posted or the website has been taken down.
I did a search on this site and found a news, where ralf57 mentions his and your contribution with TPLLeaguestats, but the links provided in this story are also broken.
Do know any other place, where I might be able to get this?

Again, thank you very much for your quick response.

Yours
Jayaay

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/24 10:49

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Jayaay
  • 2004/9/24 11:04

• Jayaay

• Just popping in

Aah, thank you very much for this link.

I was able to find the module "Leage stats" and have now installed it. Hopefully this will be what I was looking for

Thanks again!

Jayaay

Jayaay
  • 2004/10/7 17:16

• Jayaay

• Just popping in

As a follow-up on this topic, I installed the TPLLeaguestats Module but unfortunately it didn't provide what I wanted from it. The main problem seemed to be the fact, that the module only lets you enter two competing teams at a time. Since I wanted a module, that would allow multiple players to participate in a game and then record the winner, I couldn't use said module.

Instead, I embarked on the long and endavouring task of coding my own module. So far I have crossed quite a few obstacles and am slowly progressing towards something usefull - and I'm learning a helluwa lot of things as I am moving forward.
If I ever get this module op and running the way I have envisioned it, I will post it here for others to enjoy, but it's gonna take quite a while yet!

Cheers!

Jayaay

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits