rayzor8
Porting Existing App as XOOPS Mods
  • 2004/9/4 7:04

• rayzor8

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/28

Hi,

How can I port an existing application - something as complicated as phpMyAdmin - as a XOOPS module?( I realize there might already be a phpMyAdmin XOOPS module but just as an example.) I tried "framing" it inside the module templates with no luck. Is there an easy way to do this? Is this where WSRP comes in? Any thought on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ray

Mithrandir
Re: Porting Existing App as XOOPS Mods

Yes, there is already a well-working phpMyAdmin module

WSRP? Don't know that abbreviation, and no, there is no easy way to do it. It is where hard work comes in

The main thing is to change user access control to use XOOPS' built-in permissions and user profiles and change the would-be module to use the XOOPS database class for querying the database.

rayzor8
  • 2004/9/7 17:18

• rayzor8

• Just popping in

I figured there's no easy way. If only the main window in XOOPS is "framed" I can run the app there. I have to research on this and see how you can embed a frame.

WSRP stands for Web Services for Remote Portlets. It's a specification to easily port your apps to a portal environment. I am not too familiar with it but I think the specification is for designing your application so that it can be easily ported, it does not apply to existing apps (I think).

-Ray

intel352
  • 2004/9/7 20:22

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

WSRP sounds like it's more suited for a portal (like maybe the Invision Power Board portal that is included with the forums), than a CMS (i.e.- xoops).

jmass
  • 2004/9/7 20:36

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

WSRP is one year old an not widely supported.

The "Big Boys" like Red Hat Portal server, IBM WebSphere, BEA something or other are interested in this kind thing... That does not mean it can't apply to Xoops, but most of those are Java and huge.

I do not think it is relevent anyways as no one is using it, even those listed above. They all favor JSR 168 as they are Java.

As for "wrapping the app in xoops". This is easy with an I-FRAME. I did this with a webmail app. However, as Mith pointed out, the heavy lifting will come to use XOOPS permissions within the app.

This situation would be better with LDAP assigning permissions for both XOOPS and XYZ app, but a real integration would still not be there. You would be working with the outside app in a non-xoops mangement system. This would not be a true module.

Hope this helps.

JMass

rayzor8
  • 2004/9/8 17:34

• rayzor8

• Just popping in

Yes I recently discovered IFRAME and it is exactly what I'm looking for. You're right about login/permissions integration with xoops, I guess that's my next step. But for now this will work.

-Ray

Login

Who's Online

114 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 114

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits