metin
messenger & another questions
  • 2004/7/31 19:59

• metin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/21

i want to develope a new site with xoops.
the old site is build with wbb 1.2 portal.

1) the new site should have an messenger exaktly like "portal zine messenger". Is it possible to get this as XOOPS version or an equal messenger for XOOPS ?

2) another wish is to give users who did not respect the rulez of the sites "warnings". The user should not login with his third warning for one week. Is there a possibility in XOOPS for this ?

3)we won´t to keep the MySQL tables of the old system but don´t know if it is possible to use this further with or new XOOPS site ? I did read in another forum that this is ver difficult and it would be better to start from zero, with no users and no postings. THe old user have to register again.

thank you for answering

tom
Re: messenger & another questions
  • 2004/8/1 3:41

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

You may or may not be aware Portalzine is made using the PostNuke CMS.

Quote:
1) the new site should have an messenger exaktly like "portal zine messenger". Is it possible to get this as XOOPS version or an equal messenger for XOOPS ?

I'm unsure of what you mean by messenger, if you mean private messages (PM's), then yes XOOPS has one but it's very limited compared to others CMS's and BB's availiable. This is something I believe will be developed in the future.

Quote:
2) another wish is to give users who did not respect the rulez of the sites "warnings". The user should not login with his third warning for one week. Is there a possibility in XOOPS for this ?

There is a possibility, however it must be done manually, XOOPS use's groups for permissions, so you would create a group with limited or no access to area's of your site, should a member be warned 3 times, you would then need to manually remove him/her from the registered members group (or applicable group(s)), then place him/her into the banned/suspended group, then do the same in reverse once they are allow back in. You could create a block for the banned/suspended group, so if they sign on, this block could say "Your account has been suspened, for more information please contact................"

Quote:
3)we won´t to keep the MySQL tables of the old system but don´t know if it is possible to use this further with or new XOOPS site ? I did read in another forum that this is ver difficult and it would be better to start from zero, with no users and no postings. THe old user have to register again.

I'm not familliar with the abbreviation of wbb or what CMS this is, there are converter scripts out there for some CMS's like nukes, however I'm unsure about yours.

In short yes it is possible to convert your members over, however I couldn't tell you how, or if there is a solution availiable.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Take care

metin
  • 2004/8/1 11:01

• metin

• Just popping in

thank you

i did install portalzine for an friend of me´s postnuke site. i did like the function that you can close the site but if you didnt close the messenger pop up it is possible to be further online & to see who is online and to sende them a message. This messages arrive very fast and open as pop up automatically. Another advantage is that the messenger isnt a second message "modul", cause he use the same original postnuke message box.

is there a chance to get this module work with XOOPS ?
that would be very very good - for XOOPS and for us :)

The second question about warnings & co is important but your solution is an alternative. I did look a little bit on this site but did´nt find anythink, so i have to select your alternative version, till an opportunity will come.

WBB 1.2 portal is not open source but doesnt cost anything.
THe second version isn´t free and it doesnt solve our problems to get an good community site with with "professional" functions & look. We want to get the new portal site ( with XOOPS ) work till end 2004. The old WBB site is working till 12/2001 and we did make a decison between a new CMS or to use the old board further. I did make & read comparisons with other open source CMS and think that XOOPS is a very good choice for us & will be develope for the next years. Now for me ( and us ) it isnt easy to make this decision cause we arent programmers and have only expierences with html and a little bit with CSS and php ( a little bit ). I did start the discussion about a new cms and prefere the others xoops, so i would be the man who have to do the important and most work after installing. THere are a lot of things i didnt understand but want to understand. THere will be more questions in the next 4 months and i have no other chance to post those here to solve this problems and to present the site at the end of this year.

now i did install XOOPS on a another test webspace to develope the site. I hope that it will not be so difficult :)

tom
  • 2004/8/1 15:54

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
is there a chance to get this module work with XOOPS ?
that would be very very good - for XOOPS and for us :)

The XOOPS messanger is instant, however it does not open automatically, you will be notified via the user block, which lights up with how many you have.

The PM system is part of xoops, and like I say I believe it will be developed further (this is a question for the XOOPS support team really, don't know where they are though).

Quote:
The second question about warnings & co is important but your solution is an alternative. I did look a little bit on this site but did´nt find anythink, so i have to select your alternative version, till an opportunity will come.

I'm not sure there will be a upgrade to this, but you can make this feature request on source forge and the developers of XOOPS may then consider it.

Click Here for Source Forge Feature Request

In the new forum which is being develped (newbb 2), you can make notes on users to monitor them, I believe. For a demo of this please view the following site:

Test site for Newbb 2

there is not stable release of this forum module as yet, but you can use beta's although not recomended.

Quote:
now i did install XOOPS on a another test webspace to develope the site. I hope that it will not be so difficult :)

The installation process is really simple, and user friendly, if you've got it installed, then have a good play, there are many cool modules out there to make a great content site, not to forget WF-Sections which is a article managment module, also great for magazine type things, for the WF-Projects site, see:

www.wf-projects.com

Hope this has been of some help.

metin
  • 2004/8/2 11:51

• metin

• Just popping in

the messenger would be nice but it´s not a must have.

thank you for the links. i will post there.

yesterday i did find a converter for the MySQL database.
We can convert the wbb 1.1.1 to phpbb2 ( 2.0.6 ).
I did read that there is a XOOPS phpbb version.
So i would try to convert first from wbb to phpbb & then to XOOPS phpbb version.

So i had to use this XOOPS phpbb version.
But i will look further. I could be another converter to go from phpbb2 to another forum system. phpbb2 to XOOPS newbb forum would be nice. Then i could update to newbb 2 ?!?! i dont know.

it will be dangerous. Cause when i start converting know, the present system could get problems. So i think i will do this converting at last. First developing the XOOPS site & when it´s finito i could risk it. When the converting doesnt go then we will start from zero. Without users & without topics & postings in the forum. I would not be so bad cause the forum should be not the important section. THat´s one of the reason´s why we want to go with an Right CMS.

I did read about WF modules and would be use it but there are so many of them ( not only the wf´s ). It´s very good that they are there and we can use them but it will be complex. Cause XOOPS has it´s own article module and we have to build at first a good plan to select what we are needing.

I did test with postnuke and a little bit with XOOPS ( earlier this year ) some of this module and saw that some of them don´t corporate with the other system modules ( like comments or image manager ).

Another important functions is that the article modules should have a HTML WYSWYG function. I did test the chapi version for the system article module but get errors after.

i will analyze and install wF modules to see how they are.

thank you for help.

metin
  • 2004/8/2 12:25

• metin

• Just popping in

i did look at wf downloads modul now and have some questions.

i would use two download modules for the site.
the system download module and another.
The second could be wf downloads & it would be used only by users.

some of them can upload files & the most could give a link to the download from their own website.

The reviews section is a very good idea. Is it possible to see the last posted reviews at the first site as a block ? like last posted comments !

and is it possible to see the number of posted reviews in the user account ?

So we could make a new "top review poster" block ?

and we could make a most reviewed download block at frontside !?!?

do the image manager work with the wf downloads module ?

another opportunity to get those blocks would be to use the comments option for review postings.

i want to have another block on the frontside with best rated downloads too. is it possible at the frontside ?
I know that it is possible in the download section.
Users can get the a list sorted by popularity / most downloaded & best rated.

& i have another question. There will be only a user group who can access the wf downloads module to post downloads.
Is it possible that every download poster have there own download kategory ( like metin´s downloads ) and the other cant post there downloads ?

and is it possible to combine this kategory with a another artikle in the site. THe download poster will have an opportunity to present his self ( biografie & news about him ) and it would be perfekt when his downloads would be listed there ?

thx

metin
  • 2004/8/6 12:24

• metin

• Just popping in

did find the same portalzine messenger for XOOPS here in brasilian module pack ( download section ).

name of the XOOPS module is buddfriends.

metin

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits