hmagoo
desertmountains.com - comments appreciated
  • 2004/7/31 8:07

• hmagoo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/31

Hi, I installed XOOPS about a month ago, and this week I basically did most of what you see. Using a theme from 7dana that I modified a little bit to suit my needs. I happen to like websites narrow and centered on the screen, but a few friends had mentioned reading it at 1600x1200 and other issues so I made a few different copies of the theme which scale differently.

I've never had much of a site so many of the things on there are just for experience.

XOOPSGallery with Imagemagick is working out nicely, just ran through that install a few days ago.

Thanks!

DesertMountains.com

tjnemez
Re: desertmountains.com - comments appreciated
  • 2004/7/31 14:57

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

site is looking real good. looks like the ads by google is messing up your footer. you may want to change this.

synistar
  • 2004/7/31 16:20

• synistar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/19

It looks pretty good. Although I noticed one issue. The DTD is XHTML transitional however the page does not validate. If you want to use some of the older HTML 4 or 3.2 attributes you might want to change the DTD to one of those older standards. Otherwise you may want to go through and clean up the errors listed here: W3C Validator output

The validator output looks worse than it really is. Usually fixing the first few errors makes a lot of the later errors disappear to.

The benefit of having valid output is consistent rendering (you avoid the dreaded Quirks mode rendering in IE an Moz - try googling on "browser quirks mode" to see what I mean).

Good Luck!

hmagoo
  • 2004/8/1 0:10

• hmagoo

• Just popping in

thanks for the comments.

I am aware of the validator results. I just changed the DTD to html 4.01 loose, and am in the process of ironing out the remaining errors.

Anonymous
  • 2004/8/1 0:34

• Anonymous

• Since:

It is a very beautiful page but it looks too empty (my opinion)

hmagoo
  • 2004/8/1 6:14

• hmagoo

• Just popping in

thanks, I'm working on filling up the empty spaces. I'm a real newbie at web development. ;)

I changed to HTML 4.01 Transitional dtd and ironed out a lot of the erros, all but one on the front page.

If someone could lend me a hand making the last error compliant that would be great. W3C Validator results are here.

That is in my theme.html and I am having trouble finding the proper way to format it. It is responsible for the top line on the frame of the webpage. I tried a few different things but they didn't help.

synistar
  • 2004/8/1 13:11

• synistar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/19

Try changing the background attribute to an inline CSS:

Quote:
<td align="center" width="100%"
background="http://desertmountains.com/themes/fixed-800-wide/images/top_tab_bg.gif">
</td>

Quote:

<td align="center" width="100%"
style="background: #ECE9D8 url(http://desertmountains.com/themes/fixed-800-wide/images/top_tab_bg.gif);">
</td>

Although moving that into your style.css might be better since the markup would get cached and then your simplified markup would look like this:
Quote:

<td align="center" width="100%" class="frametop"></td>

That seems to fix it (you may need to put a &nbsp; in the td if it collapses on you). Although, it looks like you have an extra BODY tag in your "Themes module" template. You might want to get rid of that.

And you say your a beginner. But your layout is pretty good looking for a beginner. I wish my first layouts had looked that good.

Good Luck!

hmagoo
  • 2004/8/1 19:21

• hmagoo

• Just popping in

synistar,

Thanks for the help. I just threw the snippet into the html, I've made changes here and there to style.css but I'll learn css files later. ;)

I walked through most of the pages and tried to get as many non-compliance errors out of there as I could. It's looking up, at least...Some modules are pretty stubborn though.

Hugh

brash
  • 2004/8/1 22:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Very nice! That theme from 7dana is quite a good one isn't it

The logo image is pretty big (about 65k) and adds considerably to the overall site weight. Might want to think about optimising this as jpg image as it'd be much better suited to this kind of image. You should be able to get it down to under 20k and still have it looking really sharp. I can do it for you in PhotoShop for you if you like.

hmagoo
  • 2004/8/4 1:05

• hmagoo

• Just popping in

thanks for the advice. I was able to get the logos sized down a lot more and I made some size changes on the default layout. Slowly learning....

thanks,

hugh

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits