SFW-Pyrran
Jumping ship
  • 2004/7/27 17:19

• SFW-Pyrran

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/27

Hey people,

I'm co-admin of an e107 based site, and have been running up against the limitations/quirks of said cms for a number of months now, and I'd really really like to "jump ship" to XOOPS as it appears to offer a better user experience - which at the end of the day is what running a content based site is about (imho).

I've installed XOOPS and e107 on a local gentoo based box on my lan so i can play around with things before committing myself either way.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on converting the content (forums, archived news, chatbox posts, comments, etc) from e107 to xoops, specifically the best way to go about it.

After a recent site loss (where the hosting provider's servers were hacked and all content was lost), I'm not keen on starting from scratch again with a blank site, and as both systems store the majority of their content in an sql db - I was wondering if anyone already has, or knows of a script (perl/php perhaps) than would automate the task to a degree, or even a visual representation of each db where i can resign myself to copy and pasting if i have to!

Any thoughts and/or help greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards,
Pyrran.

intel352
Re: Jumping ship
  • 2004/7/27 20:53

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

it's definitely possible, but i'm not sure how easy it would be. is e107 branched from another CMS like Nuke? or is it a from-scratch cms?

depending on it's origin often determines how easy it is to transfer data from the old db to the new

i've created scripts for PHP-Nuke to Xoops, so, as long as e107 isn't totally strange, lol, then it should be possible.

SFW-Pyrran
  • 2004/7/30 10:26

• SFW-Pyrran

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/27

hey bd_csmc,

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

As far as I know, e107 isn't an offshoot of one of the older CMS's out there, but the db doesn't look too complex, it has far few tables than xoops, and the contents of which seem fairly obvious.

Do you mind if I ask how you went about creating the scripts you wrote? Or perhaps, what the best source of information on table/field purposes? Anything I should watch out for or be careful of when I feel i've got enough info to backup the content of the current e107 site (via phpmyadmin) and begin on the script to convert things over?

Ideally i'd like to be able to present the new XOOPS based site, with the old content to the other admin(s) for their comments - although I only really need to swing one over - but he's head admin and has the final say so! So if i can present him a finished conversion for him to look at, i think I can convince him.

Again, any help from you (or anyone!) that would enable me to achieve or get nearer the goal would be appreciated!

Only wish I'd found XOOPS after the last site loss instead of just reinstalling e107! ;)

Best Regards,
Pyrran.

intel352
  • 2004/7/30 11:14

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i found a postnuke (PN) to XOOPS semi-conversion script in the downloads section. so i used that conversion model to convert all of my phpnuke tables to xoops.

when you transfer the data, there should be no loss of data in e107, but still a backup is good to have. before you transfer module data, you need to have those modules 'installed' in the XOOPS target site

as for figuring out tables/fields, just look for any similarities. sometimes there are no similarities, which is possible since e107 is not branched off of a nuke

most likely though, the most complicated bit would be the forums, or the users tables (or both). you have to make sure you set the group levels correctly, etc.

if e107 has groups, then find out what it's groups id's are, and try to compensate for that in your conversion script, otherwise user's will be all over the place, group-wise, lol

Login

Who's Online

474 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 474

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits