Bassman
Theme width problem
  • 2004/7/16 0:44

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I'm not sure if this is a CSS issue or not, but here goes -

I'm in the process of creating a fixed width theme. I've studied some fixed width themes to see how they are done, and mine is working OK except for one problem:

When the user selects "Edit account" the bottom half of the page expands to a width wider than my fixed width table, if there's a right block present. This only happens with "Edit account", not any other modules i've tested.

Screenshots:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Any suggestions?

Panos
Re: Theme width problem
  • 2004/7/16 1:12

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Bassman,

Since you are trying to create a simple fixed width theme, you will have to "hardcode" the width of each table. In simple words, you will have to define the exact width of every table inside your markup.

If you have done so and that one is the only page which gives you trouble, search for the respective template and see if there is any style rule attached there. For example, if the template reads something like:

<table class="foo" style="width: 100%">...

then remove the style property.

The problem you described above occurs when you define a width property and value inside your CSS. When you do so, the respective table "tends" to expand all the way to the edges of the screen.

Unfortunately, hardcoding the width values inside your theme.html is the only way to avoid this "issue".

Let me know how it went

Bassman
  • 2004/7/16 1:20

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks Panos, i'll look into that :)

tjnemez
  • 2004/7/16 1:36

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

in my experience one of the things that drives this width is the select for time zone. to control this i added the following to my style.css

select {
font-size:9px;
padding: 1px;
}

you can edit the text size and beware that this will effect the text size in all drop downs

tjnemez
  • 2004/7/16 1:41

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

you should not have to hard code table widths

Bassman
  • 2004/7/16 1:51

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

Yep, it's the drop down font size all right. Only problem is, if I make it too small it's illegible, and not quite enough to fix the problem. I guess i'm going to have to not have a right block in that section of the page......or, I might just make the right block a bit narrower.

tjnemez
  • 2004/7/16 2:09

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

yes, i did not think it would completely eliminate your problem, but you can do as you suggest. i would not use any right blocks in this case.

Panos
  • 2004/7/16 2:17

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

Hmm, that's one way to do it but nonetheless a "dirty" one

I do not like hardcoding table widths either. In fact, I hate tables. I have been designing web sites for a little more than 4 years and I must say that I have suffered enough coding the old way.

For the last year, I have been coding with web standards in mind only. I haven't made a fully-liquid XOOPS theme yet though, as I didn't have the time to. I do like however the fact that XOOPS relies heavily on CSS for the layout. As for the tables used for the structure, what can I say? Noone's perfect

tjnemez
  • 2004/7/16 2:22

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

it is not dirty in my opinion as this is simply not a table issue as a form is also involved. i am with you on that one panos, but sometimes tables are so simple to use. my theme, although very simple is completely css.

Panos
  • 2004/7/16 2:23

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

Oh, I forgot to make clear that tjs way to do it is the only one. Unfortunately it is either that or taking out the right column

In my first post I completely neglected that fact, sorry

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits