Bender
PHP Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings a
  • 2004/7/12 23:51

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

There are quite some different threads which seem to never really have been solved. (at least the ones i looked into)
Just do a search >click<

I found this description of the problem and thought it could fit to what happens in XOOPS too.

Maybe someone with knowledge (Coreteam?) may have have a short look into this bug report to see if my assumption is correct and if it helps to do something against the problem.

Quote:
Bottomline:
[4 Jul 10:28pm CEST] goba@php.net

We have tackled down the problem to memory allocation issues. If PHP is
unable to allocate more memory it quits, but then the session module
still tries to save stuff, and due to the unavailability of memory, it
is unable to do so.

The interesting part is that regardless of our display_errors=off
setting, this session error still gets printed out to the browser (the
mem allocation problem is only present in our logs). The session module
should not print errors if display_errors is off.

Bad thing: it is still open. But people were suggesting some workaround there.

If i am totally wrong with my guess ... please excuse me for wasting your time

Bender
Re: PHP Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings a
  • 2004/7/13 10:35

• Bender

• Home away from home

Small push for those who read only the frontpage news often like myself :)

Mithrandir
Re: PHP Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settin

Read it now, but not sure what I can do about it except of course work on bringing down the memory usage - which we are aware of is a problem when e.g. doing mass-mailing and the like. If there are new areas hitting the memory-ceiling, we are of course interested in knowing this, though (and how high that memory ceiling is, naturally - no real point in complaining that XOOPS hits the ceiling if there is only 512 KB allocated).

Bender
Re: PHP Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settin
  • 2004/7/13 13:03

• Bender

• Home away from home

I understand that this is soemthing that basicly must be fixed in a new php release. Still that would mean this problem might be around for some because it will take a long time until most users will have that php version available on their hosting.

But those who know about this (possible!) reason now can point users into this direction to increase the allocatable memory for php. (which might still be difficult for those on shared hosting)
Still better than just getting no answer or 'no clue'.

For the mass mailing problem a 'dumb' non programmer question:
Wouldn´t it be possible to change it so it does the work 'blockwise'
e.g. splitting in like mailing 50 users, than the next 50 ... and so on?
(guess that will increase the time needed to get the
mailing done but it would be better than not mailing at all)

Jakobo
  • 2004/9/14 19:32

• Jakobo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/18

I haven't been active for a while, but this is a great way to jump back into things.

I just finished solving this problem on kaizoku-fansubs.com and of all things, it was connected to a corrupted table:
xoops_session

running "myisamchk -o *.MYI" inside of the database directory put things to right once more. The field information had become damaged. Once repaired, XOOPS was able to manage its sessions again, and everything was right and good in the world.

I hope this helps other people who have this problem. We still don't know what blew away the session table, so that's another investigation all its own. :)

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits