godmaster
Can someone help me in a TOTAL NOOOB to Xoops ! ! !
  • 2004/6/10 18:01

• godmaster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/10

Hello everyone ...

ok..i admit it, we've all got to begin somewhere, and here i am, at the XOOPS forums asking how the heck to get things working in my XOOPS website...

i've installed it using the ' fantastico ' feature which auto installed it for me...and now here i am trying to get to grips with the administration if it...

Ok ..im used to phpnuke, i.e. activating modules and themes, making them visible etc.. HOW do i do it in Xoops? ... ive worked out you click that 'system' thing and there are options i.e. to install modules and blocks... this much i can do ...but here is a lit of things i need help with urgently !!!

1/ HOW do i install a theme, i just downloaded, and get it working? ...they are all .zip ...etc etc, can someone PLEASE advise me ...

2/ How do i install Blocks and Modules i've just downloaded and, how do i get them installed and activated and working ....

3/ Finally, can i add my own custom HTML, and images etc to the centre of the website, i.e. my own content? ....

if anyone can answer these 3 questions im going to be the happiest man on the planet i think...

after seeing phpnuke ..i thought id seen everything in content management, but now ive discovered this XOOPS thing..it looks so much nicer !!! and more webby!!! lolol
anyway ...waiting for your responses ASAP .........

dukehen
Re: Can someone help me in a TOTAL NOOOB to Xoops ! ! !
  • 2004/6/10 18:08

• dukehen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/9

1. Unpack your theme and then upload the theme's folder (i.e. Rainbow) to the themes directory. Then, if you head to your admin panel -> prefs you should see the theme list in there. Make sure that if you want it as the default theme, you set it in both the default theme box and make it the only selectable theme for users (another box below).

2. To install modules, unpack them and upload them into the modules directory. You will already see some in there, so make sure you upload the folder (i.e. newbb or calendar). Then, go to admin panel and click on modules. Then, scroll to bottom and install the mods.

3. This has recently been asked. Go to admin panel -> blocks, add custom HTML block, and choose where you want it situated (like center center).

Hope that helps.

godmaster
  • 2004/6/10 18:14

• godmaster

• Just popping in

ok ...thats a bit more clearer..

so look like im uploading things via FTP and not using the upload feature i see for example with the themes... something about it must be a .tar or something...

but i'll take your advice and upload for example the theme as it is up-pack it and up it to the themes folder ... but one question with this ...

the directory structure looks different ..ie, the themes in the FTP themes folder do not have folders in them they simply are like images etc etc ... why is that?

i'll crack on and see what i can do ...

thanks for the response by the way ..its really appreciated !!!

godmaster
  • 2004/6/10 18:22

• godmaster

• Just popping in

ok guys...

something werid has happened...

i did just that, unpacked the theme, and uploaded it into the themes folder in my XOOPS directory via FTP ...

NOW ....i went to the preferences / general settings bit and selected the colour theme as the deafult etc .... ok..now after that i clicked the apply thing...and tried to go to the home page... guess what happened !!!

NOTHING was there !!! ..lool its totally blank ..ok ive definatley screwed somnething here...please advise dudes !

many thanks in advnace..

dukehen
  • 2004/6/10 19:07

• dukehen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/9

Well, I would click BACK on my browser and re-enter the admin panel and get rid of that theme.

You could also check the source of your blank page, to see what is going on.

Do you have a specific theme you want to use? If so, post a link to it and I can check it out myself.

godmaster
  • 2004/6/10 19:58

• godmaster

• Just popping in

im trying to use that colour theme...

i found it on a XOOPS site somewhere...what a pain in the bum !!!

i'll post it somewhere for you to download and see for yourself !!

thanks

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits