VodkaFish
Should I use Xoops?
  • 2004/6/7 19:38

• VodkaFish

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/7 1

I've posted this on a couple of different cms/blog/site-solution sites.

I'd like to "beef-up" an MT site. It's sports-related, only one person posting news and rumors. Moving away from "just a blog" to wanting an interactive site with others being involved.

Main things to add:
* user registration
* user submittion of news with approval system
* easy reading of other rss feeds (with caching and good management)

Main things to keep:
* does not want to lose the ability to edit/block comments
* does not want to lose the ability to assign things to multiple categories
* still have rss feeds (possibly one for different news categories or even multiple-blogs)

Wouldn't mind:
* possibly adding a forum and having one user registration, but it's secondary (besides the newbb, although it is a nice simple one)
* importing movabletype stuff (would really like this actually)

Thoughts?

kahumbu
Re: Should I use Xoops?
  • 2004/6/7 19:59

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

XOOPS can do most of those things. Or to be honest, most CMS can do most of those things.

I'm not sure about movabletype, although I've seen wordpress and other blogs ported to XOOPS.

VodkaFish
  • 2004/6/7 20:18

• VodkaFish

• Just popping in

Yes, it seems it can do most - but is there something I need that it cannot do?

VodkaFish
  • 2004/6/7 20:20

• VodkaFish

• Just popping in

One other question: is it possible to have the rss feeds I'd like to display on my site appear in categories?

chrissto
  • 2004/6/10 17:02

• chrissto

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/10

I am evaluating open source CMS systems (without previous experience) for my hosting and internet services company.
I know that XOOPS allows users to upload news items (although I am not sure how one controls where it goes), but I am not able to find any reference to the ability to upload content.
My questions are:

1) Where can I find an explanation of the management of users contributions (i.e. news items)
and
2) Is there any ability to upload other content (say white papers, ebooks etc.).

3) Most example sites I have found are discussion forums - can anyone suggest any sites that are more geared to news distribution from a community with less emphasis on discussion? (the latter is to follow later for my customer).

4)I think XOOPS is what I am after - does the above sound like Xoops?

5) I managed to implement osCommerce in a weekend, with customisation (using css) to a good standard, can anyone tell me how long I might need for an initial (with simple customisation) of XOOPS to achieve the above functionality- I have of course root access (I know its not needed), php, mysql.

I have scanned the XOOPS site but I still have these q's in my mind - any advice would be gratefully received.

thankyou

Chris

Mithrandir

chrissto, it sounds very much like a job, XOOPS can take.

The latest version of News can handle attachments - but I don't know if you are more after displaying white papers etc.

Most sites have a forum, but e.g. www.gaining-mass.com has a news-oriented approach.

I also know that there is an osCommerce module for XOOPS, but as I haven't tried it, I cannot say how easy or difficult it is to use.
Generally, modules use Smarty Templates for the presentation part, with quite extensive use of CSS.

VodkaFish
  • 2004/6/10 18:23

• VodkaFish

• Just popping in

That GM site is a very nice example of what I'm looking to do.

I have a question - can news have multiple categories? (that'd be huge)

RSS:
For syndicating: I don't see an rss feed on here for this site's news, nor on GM's - is there anything built-in so people can grab an rss feed of one's site? (or a plug-in?)

For displaying: can I list something like 20 feeds on my site and then just have the 10 latest display on the front page and then have a separate page with everything from the last week or so - again - all mixed (with maybe a list of where they're all coming from on the bottom)? If not built in - does this seem like an easy thing to accomplish?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these?
(oh, one more, I assume there are a few who offer XOOPS customization services for a fee?)

fooups
  • 2004/6/10 19:35

• fooups

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/12

VodkaFish said:
Quote:
For syndicating: I don't see an rss feed on here for this site's news, nor on GM's - is there anything built-in so people can grab an rss feed of one's site? (or a plug-in?)

Yes, it is an additionnal module. You can use xp-syndication or RSS-Fit. Both for Xoops2

Happy xoopsing

VodkaFish
  • 2004/6/10 22:44

• VodkaFish

• Just popping in

Thanks fooups :)

Can anyone tackle my other questions? (pls :))

VodkaFish
  • 2004/6/10 22:57

• VodkaFish

• Just popping in

Can anyone point me to any conversion scripts? Even if there's not one for Movabletype, if I can convert that to something else, and then to XOOPS (or even another in between), that'd still be nice

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits