Falling
Newb Question: server at home...how do you setup confirmation email?
  • 2004/6/6 1:36

• Falling

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/6 1

I just play around with this stuff really. I use no-ip and easyphp and inside easyphp i use Xoops. Thats doubley easy.

It works fine so far. But i can't do one thing, I do not know how to send confirmation emails to people useing my Hotmail account. I'm not a email server nor do I have one. Is there a way you can make it so it will send the mail via hotmail?

Thanks for any Information.

Back to messing around,
Falling

brash
Re: Newb Question: server at home...how do you setup confirmation email?
  • 2004/6/6 1:59

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Falling, you could just use the php mailer, that way you doing need a dedicated SMTP server or account to my understanding.

JMorris
  • 2004/6/6 3:02

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Let me guess, you're users are probably getting the following error when they try to register...

Quote:
You are now registered. However, we were unable to send the activation mail to your email account due to an internal error that had occurred on our server. We are sorry for the inconvenience, please send the webmaster an email notifying him/her of the situation.

When I tried sending mail using php mail() on my Windows system (port 25 is not blocked by my ISP) the mail would not go through. You may have better luck with Linux if sendmail is installed. However, you already have a couple strikes against you.

1. Hotmail does not accept smtp requests (I went around with them for months on this issue)
2. Many ISPs block port 25 (outgoing mail) because of the huge spam issue
3. Unless you're running a NT based version of Windows with IIS, you would need to install a third-party mail server.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do what you want to do, but it won't be easy.

Your best bet is to get a POP3 e-mail account. Then you can configure XOOPS to use SMTP host(s) in the Mail Setup section of Preferences.

Falling
  • 2004/6/6 4:58

• Falling

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/6 1

Hey JMoris whats a good provider for Pop3?

I've used Hotmail for last 5 years...

never really had a reason to get a pop3 one before, not even sure what it means...but easy enough to look it up online.

Problem is there is lots of spam when i look online about people trying to advertise the heck out of this...

so any advice i can actually trust would be nice.

Thanks,
Falling

JMorris
  • 2004/6/6 6:12

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

POP3 = Post Office Protocol
SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

When it comes to getting a POP3/SMTP account, you have tons of options. I know that Yahoo offers a POP3 option. And if you do a little digging around on google, you'll find tons of free services. Just verify that the provider offers SMTP. Not all POP3 providers do.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=POP3+email&spell=1

To be quite honest though, uless you go with a free POP3 provider, you'd just be better off to get a economical web hosting package that offers e-mail and uses Linux/Unix servers, it's about the same price ($5-$10/mo. US).

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits