RitaAnn
Help! My webdesigner uploaded the set and never did anything else.
  • 2004/6/1 18:32

• RitaAnn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/11

I hired a lady to do the website 2 yrs. ago. 'Finally' a couple of months ago she uploaded everything to the site and that's it, she did nothing else. I waited 2 wks to see if she would do anything else and nothing! Yes, I already paid her for it, basically she wanted the money upfront so she could be sure she would be paid. <smile> Yep, I learned a valuable lesson.

Anyway, I have no idea how to do much else than what I've experimented with, nor do I have the time.
I've set up some forums, and added some links, that was pretty easy. But I need other things as well and have no idea where to start. Perhaps if I ask the questions someone can guide me through the process.

I have the zaja green I (think) it's 2.0.6 or at least that's what it says at the bottom of my admin.

I would like to have a calendar that people can add their events to.

A 'your moderators page' so some of the moderators can add their personal information, a photo, and anything they would like to personalize it with.

I'd like to add avatars...have no idea how.

I also have different members with rights to different parts of the site I need to figure all that out.

There's more, but I know I'm already over my head now so I'd better stop.

Can you all help me with getting this information started.

I'm completely new to all of this. I 'think' I can figure out how to upload/download information but I'd need to figure it out also.

Thanks for such a great system and any help you might be able to give.

RitaAnn~

Mithrandir
Re: Help! My webdesigner uploaded the set and never did anything else.

Whaa'? 22 months just to upload XOOPS with a zaja green theme? What was she supposed to do?

Most of what you ask for is in a standard XOOPS package and just needs to be configured.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post here and we'll see if we can find the solution for you.

If you have not been totally scared off from using hired help, I know that JMorris helps with installations, configurations and kickstarting modifications of XOOPS, so you can perhaps give him a PM.

RitaAnn
  • 2004/6/1 18:55

• RitaAnn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/11

Okay, after reviewing the Install guide, I realize there's no way I am going to understand this information. <sigh>

I don't know what apache is, I know what Java script is but nothing more than its a computer language.

Okay, does anyone have any suggestions? I feel completely overwhelmed at this point.

Are there any measures I can take to insure this lady doesn't just delete all my information? She's not been a person of her word to this point so I'm not sure I can trust anything she says or does now. I don't want to get things set up and then have her do something to destroy all my work.

help......

RitaAnn~

kaotik
  • 2004/6/1 20:53

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

There are some basic things that should first be looked at before you go on:

Domain registration: Do a Whois on your domain to find out who own's it. If your name (or company) doesn't show up there are 2 things to do; request that she transfer it to your name or think of a new domain.

Hosting: She probably has your site hosted on a plan owned by her. I would seriously consider setting up a hosting plan on your own (or your company). There are many good sugestions in the XOOPS hosting forum, the company I use (Surpass Hosting) has a feature called scripta that will auto-install XOOPS on the server.

Only after your sure about the domain and it's hosting should you worry about installing Xoops

Lenny

JMorris
  • 2004/6/2 2:53

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

kaotik wrote:
Only after your sure about the domain and it's hosting should you worry about installing Xoops

Agreed.

Also, don't panic. The XOOPS community is large and willing to help. You will get your site online.

Most web hosts offer a package that has at least one MySQL database Perl (CGI) and PHP preinstalled. I would also recommend a host that runs their servers on Linux/Unix.

Installing XOOPS is not really as hard as it sounds. It usually only takes about 10 minutes to install the core files. The hardest part about XOOPS is modifying modules and themes for that custom look/feel. If you're just wanting the basics, it's pretty easy to learn.

If you're looking for some custom work to be performed, or you're just too busy to do it yourself, arangements can be made.

JoDee
  • 2004/6/2 19:48

• JoDee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/9 2

Domain looks like its registered to you I took out your info but it reads as followed does the lady who did your site own christianwebhost.com
Registrant: A Christian Connection
Registered through: Christian Domains 4U.com
Domain Name: ACHRISTIANCONNECTION.COM
Created on: 20-Feb-01
Expires on: 20-Feb-05
Last Updated on: 03-Feb-04
Administrative Contact: Evans:, Rita
Technical Contact: , host@christianwebhost.com
Christian Web Host
P.O. Box 97
Remlap, Alabama 35133
United States 205-680-0689
Domain servers in listed order: NS.CHRISTIANWEBHOST.COM
NS2.CHRISTIANWEBHOST.COM

intel352
  • 2004/6/2 20:40

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

#1. how the heck did she get away with not creating your site for 2 years, and why would she bother putting something together for you finally after all this time? (how did you get her to actually do it?)

i hope you weren't paying for a site design, since all she apparently did was provide you with a XOOPS installation + a downloaded theme (that's how it sounds from what you described).

#2. if you need help, i'll attempt to provide assistance for free, cus i hate to hear about someone getting ripped off like that

#3. if you paid for the hosting space yourself, then just change the passwords to the account. otherwise, do like the guys here said, get your own hosting account, and have your data transferred over (also, if you can login to your space via FTP, i would suggest downloading your files to back them up safely. also find out where your MySQL database is stored, it has your XOOPS installation information, and you need to back that up as well)

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits